#FormativeSummit Challenge: Day 7, Mark Barnes

Happy Thursday #FormativeSummit attendees :smiley:

As a follow-up to Mark’s session, we’d love to hear what methods YOU use to provide students with meaningful feedback!

Thank you to @lpereira for helping facilitate the discussion!

Notes:

If you haven’t signed up for #FormativeSummit yet, you may still do so here! We’ll make sure to send you any webinars you’ve missed (ex: Matt’s session). Just don’t wait too long! Registration is only open for the remainder of the event period (Oct. 19th-Nov. 5th) and just like a real conference, the webinars will disappear after that point as well!

If you haven’t joined our community yet, you can click on the Login with Formative Account option in the top right of the screen. If you don’t have a Formative account, it’ll prompt you to create one.

1 Like

So excited to facilitate the discussion. I love thinking about feedback because it drives growth!

1 Like

Meaningful feedback is given to students when I put feedback that is constructive and positive on their displayed work inside and outside of the classroom. I usually use a sticky note and write comments and feedback and place it on the student’s work sample.

1 Like

I love this idea. It is similar to commenting publicly similar to social media. I am sure students love this! :two_hearts::sunglasses:

2 Likes

I love this idea too! It’s important to make sure we continue to encourage students in addition to sharing objective observations / questions with them!

1 Like

I have begun to use Formative’s feedback section while the live responses are being worked on. The other most effective way for my students is the verbal feedback during their work time. I am working on implementing other ways of feedback based on the summit webinars. I love all the ideas and see that each one connects to the other videos. I like the connection, and it helps me when I bring the information back to my administrators since there will most likely to push-back, specifically about feedback rather than grades.

2 Likes

I always point out what they did right first and ask them how they can improve.

2 Likes

I give feedback immediately either on sticky notes or with verbal consults

1 Like

I love that you use a question as feedback. Questions can be powerful prompts for reflection and growth.

1 Like

Verbal feedback is not only great feedback but can be a great way to connect emotionally with students and learn more about the mistakes and successes they are experiencing.

1 Like

How are teachers leveraging peer feedback? Any success stories or tips you can share?

1 Like

Agreed, the use of questions is part of the #SE2R model that Mark described in his session!

1 Like

I am so glad that you are finding some great ideas to implement in your classroom and strong connections between all the sessions! This is encouraging for us to hear :slight_smile: :raised_hands:

As a math teacher, I think my feedback is different than in other areas. One unit in which we are currently working is all about factoring polynomials. I’ve built the formatives in a way that help me to pinpoint where a student is going wrong. For example, the first formative, 25.1, is all about pulling out the GCF (number only) from two terms. Once students make progress there, they go on to 25.2, where they also pull out a variable… but they only focus on positive values. In 25.3, they pull out a number, a variable, AND they have to watch for changes in signs when factoring out a negative number. In 25.4, they have all the types .1-.3 mixed together. In 25.5 I introduce difference of squares… and the series progresses.

Once they figure out how to manipulate binomials, I do the same sort of scaffolding for factoring trinomials, too, starting with pulling out the GCF first.

For feedback, I focus on something positive that the student is doing correctly, and then pose an area of focus. For example, “numbers look good… check your signs” or “great start… check your Bs” (meaning bases of variable B).

I even started displaying our progress and allowing for students to give me feedback (in column C). I’m trying to get students to give each other feedback, too. I work with a focus group (usually the ones at the bottom of the list) to help them get caught up and to correct misunderstandings in their math learning. I emphasize to my students to ask classmates who have already completed the assignment (in green) if they need help. They can work with anyone who is working on the same assignment they are so they can collaborate and find mistakes together. [I put the data in a spreadsheet so I can sort it each day based on student progress. I can also highlight student names for grouping.]

1 Like

That’s awesome! What do they usually comment on?

LOL - They either shout at me across the room or email me. I’m trying to break their bad habits while keeping me from getting a bunch of email notification in class. Some classes did well with this and others still reverted to old tactics.

3 Likes

@tricia.mintner Ah gotcha! I actually meant…what does their feedback focus on (ex: topics they need to work on)?

1 Like