#FormativeSummit Challenge: Day 6, Joe Marquez

Hey there #FormativeSummit attendees,

As a follow-up to Joe Marquez’s session, we would love to hear how you are using tech to meet your students’ needs! I’m hoping we can all help each other by sharing great resources for meeting different needs that students have!

Thank you to @mszczepanik & @enapolitano for helping facilitate the discussion!

Notes:

If you haven’t signed up for #FormativeSummit yet, you may still do so here! We’ll make sure to send you any webinars you’ve missed (ex: Matt’s session). Just don’t wait too long! Registration is only open for the remainder of the event period (Oct. 19th-27th) and just like a real conference, the webinars will disappear after that point as well!

If you haven’t joined our community yet, you can click on the Login with Formative Account option in the top right of the screen. If you don’t have a Formative account, it’ll prompt you to create one.

1 Like

I had the honor of being live in this session with Joe Marquez. As a former 8th grade science teacher myself, and now the co-founder of Formative, this session was really special to me. Joe’s energy is so contagious and his relentless belief in the power of teachers is truly inspirational.

2 Likes

Student needs are met by retaining engagement throughout lessons with technology. For example, Nearpod allows me to set the pace of learning so that advanced learners can move ahead and the other learners can stay regulated with the teacher to ensure engagement and completion of learning presentation.

3 Likes

I have said before that my district is 1:1 iPad. I use tech most of the day to meet the needs of my students. We have apps and digital platforms such as Reflex, IXL, eSpark, Khan Academy and this is just for math. Most of all the apps and programs are designed to work the student at their own independent level and structure the scaffolding for the work that needs to be completed at grade level. I love being able to create something new for my students to use, however the students are usually teaching or helping me create a new program, video or ways to use the green screen. There are so many ways to use tech while meeting the students’ needs, the challenge is to make sure that the students are being accountable for their learning and using the tech appropriately.

3 Likes

I agree, Joe’s energy is so contagious and I love that he truly believes what he talks about and is ready to get others on board.

1 Like

Supporting individual paces of learning is so important for meeting individual needs! Bravo :raised_hands:

1 Like

That’s awesome! Way to meet students where they are :slight_smile:

True, there are plenty of apps out there that help meet student needs, but it can be tough to know what they are actually doing with them and if they are supporting their learning. I’d love to hear what solutions people have found!

1 Like

Since I teach special education, many of my students have reading difficulties. I find it very helpful for the students to use a text to speech option on their iPads to independently comprehend information that is too difficult for them to read. It has helped them feel more independent in their learning and take control of it by choosing to use the application or not.

1 Like

I also am a special education teacher and use the accessibility features often. It should work for the student to hear all the pieces on the screen if you turn on the text-to-speech whole page section.

1 Like

I use technology to meet my students’ needs in many ways. For example, I teach several students with autism, and they prefer to use iPads rather than writing out lengthy essays. Some are allowed to use audio recordings instead of typing, also.

1 Like

I love this practical idea for meeting students needs. It sounds great for providing accommodations and supporting multi-sensory learning :slight_smile:

I try to meet kids at their level whenever I can so I can build on what they know. I recently had a student transfer to my class, bringing with her a 13% grade average. I was warned that she wouldn’t do anything for me. Luckily, she transferred at the beginning of my new unit. I explained to her that I break down my concepts into mini-assignments that allow me to catch misunderstandings early. She decided to try my Formative… and she liked it! She even go the second Formative completed before the end of the class.

I told her that if she wants, she can go back and to the formatives for the areas her other teacher already covered and try them ‘my way’ and retake the tests. She seemed interested. Fingers crossed that she will stay engaged.

1 Like

That’s awesome to hear! Why do you think she liked Formative?

I think she liked the immediate feedback coupled with the way I broke things down into smaller assignments. She knew when she was correct and when to ask questions. She was happy to let me know she ‘got one done’ and I told her to keep going. AND SHE DID!

2 Likes

Awesome! This sounds like a great way to scaffold instruction! Bravo :slight_smile:

Wow!!! The features of goformative are so amazing. Our school is using it this year for the first time and I have been slowly experimenting with all of its features. I was amazed at being able to record and import pictures that students can write on, but I did not know that I am able to create a whole lesson using formative. Definitely something I want to try. I love the idea of linking padlet and brininging in videos. Amazing presentation Joe.

1 Like