#FormativeSummit Challenge: Day 5, Rachelle Dene Poth

Hey #FormativeSummit peeps!

As a follow-up to @rdene915 's session, we’d love to hear your ideas for letting students lead learning with tech! Share away!

Thank you to @enapolitano & @mszczepanik for helping facilitate the discussion!

Notes:

If you haven’t signed up for #FormativeSummit yet, you may still do so here! We’ll make sure to send you any webinars you’ve missed (ex: Matt’s session). Just don’t wait too long! Registration is only open for the remainder of the event period (Oct. 19th-27th) and just like a real conference, the webinars will disappear after that point as well!

If you haven’t joined our community yet, you can click on the Login with Formative Account option in the top right of the screen. If you don’t have a Formative account, it’ll prompt you to create one.

2 Likes

I have the students make video “instruction” projects where they record themselves teaching a concept or problem. This allows me see if they can use appropriate vocabulary and work through a problem well enough to fully explain it to another person. Beyond other requirements, I tell them to really imagine that “if your friend was not in class for notes, explain to them how to complete the problem using words and displayed work”.

4 Likes

In my opinion, there are two components to this challenge question:

1. What learning are we comfortable letting students lead?

2. What tech integration have we already taught the students to use so that they are comfortable using it?

I have found having students learn both content and process at the same time is a tall order. So it’s inportant that the process (or skills) are taught with something familiar first.

This is a great topic! It’s something I am constantly working towards.

3 Likes

I agree with this sentiment.
I often have students teach teh content to each other by having “expert” groups and jigsaw activities.
On the other hand, it is quite often that a student will come in with a “new way” of doing something (whether it is a tech tool or a solution to a challenge question), and proceeds to teach me as well as his/her peers.

5 Likes

This is such an awesome way to assess! What sites/tech tools/extensions do you use to do this? Also, have you ever tried having students watch each other’s videos and providing their peers with feedback on the videos themselves?

2 Likes

For the video projects, the students sometimes use their phones for recording, some use screencastify if they have a tablet, or screencastomatic.
There is a cool way to use a small mirror to work on a white board if you do not have a tablet, but I have yet to use that method.
I do not have all the students share, but select a few to give feedback and suggest how the videos could be improved. Due to a lack of time though, I do not have students revamp and resubmit.

3 Likes

Thanks for helping unpack the initial prompt! In regards to #1, I would say that I would be comfortable with whatever they are prepared to lead. They can learn a lot from taking ownership of every aspect of the learning process.

This is such a great point. We need to be sure that students have attained the new skills themselves before asking them to teach others and assess them. This can take time and as you mention, putting it in a familiar context can help!

1 Like

Ah so the students record the whiteboard and the mirror captures their face?

That sounds like a time-efficient strategy :slight_smile: Thinking back to Matt’s #FormativeSummit session!

2 Likes

Ah so the students record the whiteboard and the mirror captures their face?

4 Likes

Students in my classroom have lot of choice throughout the day. We have flexible learning and seating environments. Students have choice of what to work on during independent work time as well. Students in my room are using Penpal Schools, which is an online, secure website for students where PBL is the priority along with choice. I am also an Ambassador for Penpal Schools and have continued to implement this into my classroom because it is cross-curricular, PBL, social emotional, and so much more. I would like my 5th grade students to get to the point where they can lead learning with tech and I loved the examples, but writing the questions are the most challenging part. I might start small with that. How do students have access to create on Formative? Do they need teacher login or is there another way?

4 Likes

I have done this in the past and the students are able to provide feedback to each other, before they fix what they have before presenting their information.

5 Likes

This past spring I had a math class with 1/3 seniors and 2/3 juniors. A component of the course was to occasionally devote time for SAT prep. Seniors in the spring are not taking SAT and have no real “buy in” to the SAT at that point so I had to find something to do in order to make their time in class productive while also serving the needs of the juniors. So I wrote down on an index card the “big ideas” for one of our units of study and I grouped them (3 or 4 to a group depending on the number of students/seniors I had in that class) and I tasked them with creating a minimum of 10 questions of review using either Kahoot! or Quizizz. So they worked independently together for 2-3 days in the one section of my classroom (I am very lucky to have a large classroom) while I was able to work with the juniors and I would check in with my seniors occasionally to answer any questions. I told them that come the end of the course as they were preparing for their final exam, they would then use these reviews. I was so genuinely pleased with what they came up. As Rachelle stated, it’s great to see how creative they can be when you give them that opportunity. I would absolutely do that again, and as much as I love using Formative, it didn’t occur to me to have them create one, but I will add that to the mix next time as well.

4 Likes

Peer tutoring and self paced learning allows differentiation and student leadership. In science the students have many self paced learning opportunities (Nearpod, CK12 and Studies weekly lessons) and also have lots of labs for group leadership practice.

3 Likes

This is such an awesome strategy! Way to re-engage your seniors, empower them with technology, and give them the opportunity to help the juniors out :grinning:

1 Like

This is a great idea, and something that can also be used towards the end of a course to review for the final, as you mention. If students create those review quizzes throughout the year, in the end you have a bank of student created questions that can be posed as challenges to the whole class. I ueed to do something similar for portfolios at the EOY, but I like your take better. Thanks for sharing

2 Likes

I have been using goformative with my online students and using the “record audio” button where the student records their response on how to complete a step to a problem. At first they were shy on recording but now after allowing them to use many of the features of goformative, they love it. .
I do the like the idea of having the students create a quiz question or flash cards. I definetely can use goformative to accomplish giving the students the opportunity to create my next assessment or project.

1 Like

I give students a choice menu and let them pick what mediums they used to present a project. I routinely let students choose the seating arrangement.

2 Likes

I will give students a project outline and let them choose the application. I work on a VILS campus, so we regularly use technology that allows the students to lead.

1 Like