#FormativeSummit Challenge: Day 1, Matt Miller!

Hey awesome #FormativeSummit attendees!

Thank you so much for watching Matt’s session! We’d love to invite you to complete today’s challenge and share your own tips for making the most of your minutes in class with students! To participate, simply hit the reply button below.

Also, make sure to check out what other’s share and feel free to reply to them as well! #FormativeSummit is all about being better together! Lastly, shout-out to @jillian.kostuchrzepk & @mgarcia for helping us facilitate this discussion!

Notes:

If you haven’t signed up for #FormativeSummit yet, you may still do so here! We’ll make sure to send you any webinars you’ve missed (ex: Matt’s session). Just don’t wait too long! Registration is only open for the remainder of the event period (Oct. 19th-27th) and just like a real conference, the webinars will disappear after that point as well!

If you haven’t joined our community yet, you can click on the Login with Formative Account option in the top right of the screen. If you don’t have a Formative account, it’ll prompt you to create one.

2 Likes

Reflection is essential in science, so my class uses GoFormative for an entrance ticket (practice concepts) and at the end they are able to do an exit ticket to respond and reflect on how they feel about the topic, how is their understanding and also what they may need help with and unable to share aloud in class.

2 Likes

Do you spend time going over the exit ticket for the last few minutes in class? Or is that something that you review after class and then develop ideas for the next lesson based off of that?

3 Likes

I use Formative for my AP kiddos after we have done some learning, practice, activities, etc regarding a topic. Matt brought up how important immediate feedback is for students. Using Formative, I can see how many of my students are taking their learning and applying it to scenarios, but also if there are still concepts that are troubling them. I don’t want them leaving my classroom still being confused about it. In itself, the use of Formative will create those teachable moments so I can immediately go back and reteach something. If my students get it, then I’ve got some time for an extension activity, or a short video clip to share with them, or to move on.

4 Likes

Yes I do if time permits if time is not available I incorporate it into the next day’s entrance as a discussion/reflection and the scheduled entrance is usually still done but added to the classwork assignment for the day so that the reflection time is still used and not wasted :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Loved the first session with Matt. I am on online teacher so we are using formative as we don’t see our students face to face. One of the hardest area for us is timely feedback, our students just do not look at our feedback. With formative I am planning on changing that. The other area I really liked was the mention of hyperdocs. Again, being an onlin teacher anything that my students can do with a computer and keep them engaged on the other of the computer is worth for me. Thank you for a very informative first session.

5 Likes

One of the greatest things with Formative is that you don’t need a different document in order to give feedback. That’s really great that you use this for your online students. I’d love to hear about your successes with your students.
I like to remind my students to go back and look at them again when studying for an assessment.

2 Likes

I love the Numeric question type. As a math teacher, there are often special symbols, notation, and ways of writing things that have to be done correctly. By using the Numeric question type I can create a Formative that allows students to check their answers and learn the correct notation for what they are working on. As a result, I almost never get questions in class that are students who did the question but aren’t sure if they did it correctly. Now the questions I get deal with the misunderstandings. This saves time and the time we do spend is on the most important part.

3 Likes

A quick conference allowing you to personally connect with students and give feedback on some content/skill.

5 Likes

When you as the teacher step down from “the stage” and use things like Formative and Hyperdocs, it opens up SO much more time to work with students one-on-one and in small groups to give that timely AND meaningful feedback to students. It also helps you connect with them and see some of their positive traits that might not show up in a whole group setting!

2 Likes

This sounds like a great way to make “in-class” time for both reflection and practice :sunglasses::raised_hands:

2 Likes

We are so glad to hear you enjoyed it, Diana :slight_smile:

I’ve heard this from both online teachers as well as classroom teachers. Based on your experience, why do think this is the case? I am hoping I can provide you with some good tips for using Formative to overcome this obstacle :wink:

I LOVE Hyperdocs too and could see them working really well in an online setting. As Matt showed, you can use a formative as a Hyperdoc! One thing that I’ve seen educators like @tricia.mintner and @appelj do is actually provide self-reflection and advocacy questions at specific points within the formative (ex: “True or False: I understand this concept” , “True or False: I am ready to move onto the ‘Explain’ stage of this HyperDoc”). You can use the responses you are getting to support students!

Lastly, here’s a great webinar on “How To Hyperdoc” that you might want to check out! It’s hosted by @msashlylcot & @fichtlis:

4 Likes

One thing I use in my classroom to make the most of the minutes is timers. For example, in a think-pair-share, limit the share part to 2 minutes so it doesn’t consume too much class time.

3 Likes

I liked the idea of using visuals to get the most out of minutes with your students. I have often let students draw a response with much success.

2 Likes

This is one of the great benefits of having this tool. We need to make sure that stduents are able to see the feedback in order to “steer the wheel to get it back on the road”. Great thinking on this.

3 Likes

Loved the lawnmower Youtube analogy. Give pointed bitesized feedback, not a superlong list of things to do.

2 Likes

What a great insight about maximizing class minutes. Using goformative and hyperdocs in a student centered classroom evolving into the uper important relationship piece.

2 Likes

Do you find that the student that does this ends up with a better grasp of the content?

3 Likes