Formative Educator Spotlight: Lisa Scumpieru!

@new_members @informed_members @Certified_Educators :formative:

We have another amazing Formative Educator Spotlight for you! This time, we got to catch up with Formative Certified Educator Lisa Scumpieru (@fichtlis)! Lisa teaches 10th English in Hagerstown, Maryland and was recently named a Teacher of The Year finalist! She’s also one of the original pioneers of our community and helped us create this awesome hub for collaboration back in the Fall :fallen_leaf: In our interview with her (below), she shares both great ideas for using Formative and also thoughtful advice about being a member of our community! Enjoy :grinning:

Lisa Scumpieru rocking her Formative Certified Educator polo and presenting Formative at Common Ground

Hey Lisa! What are your greatest interests in education?

My greatest interests in education are sharing and project-based learning. I have a great interest for building areas in both app communities as well as within my county and beyond where educators share ideas, resources, lessons, etc. to better their craft and students’ education. I also have a great interest in project-based learning. I love anything that scaffolds learning for students, but also gives them an opportunity to explore and become independent learners and problem-solvers.

How do you use Formative in your classroom?

I use GoFormative in a variety of ways. One way I use it is to scaffold learning for students so that I am essentially taking a lesson and stretching it out in the formative to have them take that lesson at their own pace. Another way I have used it is through a Blind Formative. I have given them questions and quotes from a chapter and had them answer the questions with only prior knowledge. Students answer the questions and then they are wanting to know more and that’s when they actually read the chapter to see if their predictions and assumptions were true or not. It turns into a great way to get students engaged and thinking prior to the actual lesson.

I have also used formatives as reading logs both through guided questions with “Drowned City” versus reading a play (“Antigone”) and then answering the questions independently and discussing the play collectively. Both ways give students strategies that they can apply to their reading in the future. I also take ideas from other places to build a formative.I use Achieve the Core and use many of their lessons to build a formative for students to explore and answer. I love to keep my formatives open and allow for edits after the first submission. This truly makes the formative its name - a formative. Students can go in and revisit the test any time so that they can rethink their answers and learn from minor mistakes. I believe this shows more growth in the long run with my students.

Why did you join the Formative community? What are your favorite things about it?

I joined the Formative community because I felt that it was a great idea to get educators connected and to learn from one another. My favorite things about the community are the relationships that I have shared with many of the educators. I have developed a Flipped Global Lesson with @apeters and made a Hyperdoc Webinar with @msashlylcot. These opportunities would not have existed without this community. Both opportunities have made me stronger as an educator as a result. The Formative Community is truly a community of educators excited about learning, sharing, and developing as learners. I love how the Formative team stays connected and connects others within the community. They truly are the heart of the community. I also love the library. I have always envisioned a library that was more accessible to educators than the old Formative library and I am so excited about how it has evolved. The evolution of the community and Formative itself is now reliant on the voting of the Formative Community members and makes me feel like I am part of something that constantly evolves, grows, and improves through time.

Who are some of your favorite educators to follow on Twitter and in community?

The advice I would give new educators to the community is “Don’t get too tripped up by the badges after awhile. Enjoy the community and explore with the Search feature every once in awhile.” When I first started the community, I was worried about the badges and trying to respond to others even if I didn’t have an answer. I just wanted to help everyone. I would suggest that if you are interested in Hyperdocs, go to the search button and type in “Hyperdocs” and explore all the posts that are there and start responding, asking questions, etc… I’m always so excited to see when people have responded to an old post from months ago and have made it fresh once again. Also, I would say to be sure to open up all shared formatives even if they don’t apply to you. I have found such inspiration and ideas from math and science formatives to help me build my ELA formatives.

Who are some of your favorite educators to follow on Twitter and in community?

I love to see all comments from @msashlylcot, @apeters, @david, @nicole, @mgarcia, @dplatt, @Danielle_Moore, @niko, @d.vendramin, and @michael.lutz. On Twitter, I love to follow the same folks as here as well as Alice Keeler, Matt Miller, Kasey Bell, Kathi Kersznowski, Karla Hilliard, Jon Harper, and Sarah Thomas.

Lisa, we are thankful for everything you’ve done to make our community strong and are proud to have you on our team!

uDQm-NEn

I love seeing your work. The ‘blind formative’ is a great idea. I’ve done something like this for CS and Web Design in giving the kids code and having them answer based only on prior knowledge. Great job w/ your Ss Lisa!

@filchlis So awesome to get to know you a little better. The PBL passion and thoughtful advice you share are a testament to the great educator we get to interact with every time you post and respond. Thank you for sharing your story.

Thank you for all that you do! I have learned so much from Lisa and continue to be inspired by her work! Thanks for sharing your lessons as well!

I like the idea of allowing students to edit their own Formatives - this really helps students take charge of their own learning! And I have never thought of a blind formative - I think this would work with 6th graders as well - hoping to facilitate them into persevering of information! Thanks for the tips.

Lisa you a great educator. Thanks for sharing your story with us. We hope to learn more from your experience with formatives

You do amazing work! Your students are lucky to have you. I wish my own kids had a teacher like you. Thanks for all your sharing … you have made me a better teacher. Thank You and keep up the great and important work.