Equation Editor

There is no feature for adding math text to answer choice just yet, but we hope to add this very soon :wink:

@barbara.padget Of course I’ll have time to reply :grinning:. If you create a graphing question, students can use desmo:

In addition, why not ask a “show your work” question, where students can draw or write their equations. Even step by step … ?

How do you type mixed numbers?

Great question! You can open up the button based equation editor by clicking on the “+” sign to the right of what you are creating and then select the option shown below. You can then just enter the values for each space:

With the new equation editor, I am having trouble entering my geometry questions with LaTex. In the past, I would type a normal LaTex block incorporating text, overbars, congruence symbols, etc. Today, I started a new formative assessment and was surprised when the block was pre-populated. How can I override this option and type in LaTex?

The button-based equation editor replaced the empty box where you entered code. Could you share a couple specific examples of what you a trying to enter? Maybe we can help!

An example is this image: gfeq
These symbols are not on the button-based editor. Prior the the new editor, I could make type a block of LaTex code to render the symbols as follows:
\overline{PQ}\cap\overline{XT}=\overline{QT}
The ability to enter many mathematical symbols through the LaTex editor was a huge reason why I started using this platform. It saved me from having to save equations as images to import.

Gotcha, well we can definitely consider adding back empty box to enter code as an alternative option and/or making more equation symbols available there. Thanks for the feedback! We record every piece we get!

Thank you for your responsiveness! I imagine people are happy with the easy access to expanded functions and symbols offered in the button-based editor. For those familiar with LaTex, there’s a lot more that can be done within this platform. I for one would be appreciative of having a way to access the empty box for code.

You are so welcome! We really appreciate the feedback :slight_smile:

How do you use the equation editor to enter an answer (in the answer key) involving symbols (such as the radical symbol) if the question is a numeric type? Students get the box to enter their response but it doesn’t come up for me to use when entering the answer key.

Currently, you cannot create items in the answer key with the equation editor. We are definitely strongly considering implementing this and appreciate the feedback :slight_smile: We record every piece and discuss it!

Thank you for your quick response. I have managed a work around by entering it in the question, then copying and pasting. So until then…:smile:

This is an ingenious workaround! Nice job, Michelle :slight_smile: I made a GIF to show other @Math_Educators how you can use the equation editor for the answer key of Numeric questions!

@barbara.padget

Some Features I Would Like to See

I am having similar issues and suggested to Nicole the idea of a toggle to switch between the basic LaTeX input panel and “advanced” manual entry mode (which sets the editor back to the way it was).

That’s a great idea! Thanks for the feedback Matthew!

I’ve found the Chrome extension Permanent Clipboard helpful for “canning” LaTeX code strings that I don’t want to re-type. The extension packages strings of text so that it can be quickly accessed and copied to the clipboard for pasting anywhere! It is a big time saver.

I would LOVE for there to be an equation editor available for my students to use when inputting answers. Right now, I try workarounds like using sqrt(x) for square root of x, ^2 for squared, etc. However, it would be really nice for students to be able to write their short answers with an equation editor. Often, I find students had the right answer but just didn’t follow the syntax so I end up having to go over my formatives and “hand grade” them to take this into account.

We have a new, advanced Numeric question type that allows students to respond with the button-based equation editor! If you don’t have premium, you can sign up here!

If you want this question type to be auto-scored, you can use this workaround:

This is such a great work around! Students often spend more time focusing on how to input math correctly instead of the actual mathematical content! I love that Formative has delivered this numeric response question type!