Earn Your Formative Educator Badge!

I use formative responses to gauge what the students already know. It helps me to expand on the topics we are learning.

4 Likes

I used formative last year to assess my students at the end of their lessons. They began looking forward to the “quiz” and it created a culture of fun and competition within the classroom.

3 Likes

The ability to type in feedback outside the lesson when I have time to carefully consider each student’s responses, and yet that feedback is still interactive makes the formative assessment- useful feedback loop very effective

3 Likes

I’ve just started using Formative this month. I’ve used it to support my reading comprehension class. After reading and listening to a book, I assigned my students to create sentences using words I share on Formative. The words are taken from the book they have just finished reading and listening to.

2 Likes

I use Formative to customise feedback, and find the feedback loop very helpful in stating what is right or wrong with students’ submissions. The bespoke assessment is time consuming though, so I am selective about the nature of Math topics which I use in class.

1 Like

Welcome to the community Yani. Great way to use Formative. :slight_smile:

1 Like

As I mentioned in a previous topic about seating charts…I take their results from formatives and group them in mixed groups or like groups based on their ability. Then I meet with each group and help them cover any concepts they missed (if they are in like groups). My students’ comprehension has improved a lot using this method!

2 Likes

I use goformative for everything! This software is the brilliant and a necessity for online educators, mostly online mathematics. The Show you know and the implementation of latex has made this my most used tool for 2 years.
I enjoy the changes that happen on a regular basis giving me more power as a teacher.

Go formative really help me to see which questions/standards my students are struggling with. It gives me next day results on what needs to be the focus for class.

3 Likes

I use goformative to give weekly formative assessments and unit summative assessments. On the formative assessments, the data analysis allows me to quickly see trends and concepts that need to be revisited with the class as a whole. I tag my NC Standards to the summative assessment questions so I can see which standards are strong and which will need to be revisited as the year progresses.

1 Like

Welcome to the community, Brandon! GoFo has become my ‘textbook’ and I’ve created a ‘curriculum’ path for my students. The changes have really amped up my online math lessons, too!

As an EdTech Coach I have been on board with formative for a while and began using it by testing items out with Kevin McFarland since 2015. It is always a tool that I point my teachers too as a way to change their lessons based on the SAMR model as well as a way for them to really see their students understanding.

2 Likes

This is a wonderful way to utilize the information gained and should be a main focus for everyone. Being able to reach each student where they are is a vital component of a great classroom environment.

2 Likes

Formative tells me whether or not a student understands a concept. I get this data in real time and this allows me to adjust my teaching as necessary. Ultimately, this will save us time and allow for more in-depth discussions in class.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community! I love the real time feature as well!

I love to use GoFormative with my students! It is very easy to see what the students are having difficulty with. After the students have completed a GoFormative activity, I use that information to pull small groups. I also like how easy it is to create a Goformative.

2 Likes

Welcome. I love, love, LOVE GoFormative. Reach out on the community here to get help from others. It’s an amazing resource.

That sounds like a great way to make use of Formative. I would like to expand to conducting both an entry and an exit ticket assignment for each class.

1 Like

I use formativentomtotally redefine assessment - to integrate assessment into teaching so that it is used constantly in an impactful manner. children’s engagement has also massively improved as a result of this!

1 Like

I use Formative responses to notice when many students are making the same mistake.

It is especially helpful when the questions are multiple choice, so its not just a input error.

I’ve had to turn off the “student can view responses” for classwork, because they were so focused on getting the green circle. They didn’t care if they knew why it was right, they just wanted the credit. I wouldn’t have minded their conversations about who was right/wrong, if it was a conversation.

Once I turned that off, we had class discussions about which answers were wrong and why. I am now using “my favorite no” (http://www.nea.org/tools/tips/my-favorite-no.html) in conjunction with Formative and it seems to help their understanding.

3 Likes

Being able to differentiate is critical!

1 Like