Earn Your Formative Educator Badge!

I use Formative to track student responses in the tracker and by standards. This helps me provide the right feedback but also reteach a specific area of concern. I also use it to share student responses to show what specifically I am looking for with responses. Students are then learning from other students with the guidance of the teacher.

After attending #FormativeSummit, I learned about many awesome ways to use Formative in the classroom. I am several plans to help implement this school wide since we have really gone to project based learning with a focus on mastery level skills. Formative will help us all out across the board.

What I want to do is to link my responses to review videos so that if the student gets the “wrong answer” it sends them to a video to review the topic to “get it”. Im trying to instill the power of YET

Right now I use my formatives as exit tickets for my students. I mainly use them to double check understanding on the concept taught/reinforced in class. It helps guide my small group instruction for the remainder of the week. I also like to use them at the end of units or when reading novels to ask more probing questions we may not always have time for during class, but that will get my students thinking a little more about the topic we are reading about in class.

Now that I know this community is here, I am excited to see what others are doing and learn better ways to integrate formatives into my classroom. I love having the data to share with my co-teachers and with the special education department as needed. it’s a great resource.

I love this idea! I was trying to wrap my head around how to immediately prompt students when they get an incorrect answer. This would not only inform them of an incorrect answer, it would also give an immediate intervention to help them out.

Formative allows me to quickly see who has mastered content so that I can chose to differentiate and excel their work or who may be struggling so that I can reteach or just work with them one-on-one. Having the access to the material online 24/7 allows me to prep whenever I have time. I am loving formative.

After every formative that I give I look at several things:
a. If the assignment was classroom assignment, were the students engaged throughout the formative?
b. Did the students have questions, and if so, were there commonalities in the questions that arose? (this may
mean I wasn’t clear with directions or my direct teach was lacking in some way) I may need to reteach.
c. After several formatives I should have a clear understanding of the types and styles of formative works best
with students, so that in the future iI can focus on those types/styles of assessment.
d. I can also work to stretch the types of formative I create to build formatives that can reach several styles of
learning.
e. Additionally, using different types of formats in formative, it is my hope that students find new ways to study
and to learn.

@david @informed_educator @ela_ educator

Have we found the way to do this? I love the idea as well.

@skourtsounis are you a 1-1 school? Do your students use computers, iPads, Chromebooks, or their phones the most?

I would love to do exit tickets, but we are not 1-1 and our online access can sometimes be limited.

Are students used to the idea of exit tickets? Do they seem to be okay with them?

I’ve used goFormative in the past with math multiple choice and short answer, but I was waiting to get new techonolgy to use gF for the whiteboard feature so i can see studnet work and answers in real time. thats the real power for me in tbe classroom! being able to see my students’work in real time and reteach/pivot my instruction to meet the needs of my students.

I found Go Formative this summer and I am so glad I did!! Immediately, my principal also saw the obvious benefits of having such a powerful tool in the classroom and we started a pilot this year with math/science teachers.

I used to give tons of little notecard quizzes. They were great, but unimaginative and did not allow me anything but the short answer format. Now, I give little quizzes and activities with Go Formative which encompass a couple skills and see exactly where students are not learning.

One of the most powerful things that I have found so far, is my ability to reflect on my teaching and the students on their learning. They look at feedback because it is immediate. I do item analysis because its right in front of me. I even mentioned to several parents at conferences that I was reteaching an idea (so their students would be retaking the standard again) in part because the whole class performed lower than normal and I thought I needed to teach it differently. I think its a great thing when we can show parents and students that the learning process is shared by us all-and sometimes formatives tell me much more about what I need to be doing in the future (just like they were always intended to).

No, we are an Virtual Charter School, so all my students are using computers for live lessons in Blackboard and to complete lessons and work. Students who are knew to them do take some time getting used to it. But even in Brick and Mortar school I used them - an index card on the way out the door instead.

I use goformative as a pre test to identify students prior knowledge. I also always using it as a formative test and as a learning media.

I first used Formative in conjunction with Grammar Flip, but I started creating my own after seeing that the ones I was using “canned” from Grammar Flip didn’t really fit all of my student’s needs. I’ve reworked most of them and am using them now with Khan Academy’s grammar sections. It’s a great way for kids to SHOW what they know, instead of just completing a test enough times to get the right answers. :wink:
I’ve also used Formative with thesis statements–it’s a great way to deeply look at one student’s work in front of the whole class. All kids learn from the experience, and have the opportunity to fix their writing in a safe environment. Kids never mind being the “one example” we fix because they walk away with an example that is stronger than they can complete on their own.
I love that kids can keep going back and fixing things to make it the best they can do. I also love turning OFF the names, so I’m not going into grading with a fixed mindset about what that kid typically does.

I use formative to quickly assess learning in my math classroom. Students practice their math work together and with the help of me, but a formative helps me to know whether they really understand the content.

Formative has replaced worksheets for me. I can check what kids are up to in real-time, which means keeping kids on task, helping kids understand mistakes, and share high-level responses with kids. It’s great!