Earn Your Formative Educator Badge!

When I was in the classroom I would act to intervene or to enrich the learning that stems from the assessment. This was always valuable because I knew exactly where my students were at that moment and I could meet them where they were.

I use Formative as a quick assessment tool. It tells me what my students need next.

Previously weekly warm-ups were mostly computational or process oriented problems. This year I’ve established a set format which varies the types of problems and the skills I want my students to demonstrate growth

Mon- Start the bi-weekly Extended Constructed response in Go Formative & on the following Monday students review the feedback/begin revisions

Tues- Quick chek computational problem related to previous content

Weds- Writing to help develop thinking skills (see below for description)

Thurs- Graphing/drawing activity

Friday- WODB’s or some other challenge type activity

Weds-writing prompt. Write 4 lines in 3 minutes

What problem on the homework was difficult for you? Why was it difficult?

If nothing was difficult, which problem do you think would be difficult for someone else?

If you didn‘t do the homework, I want four lines explaining why not?

“Write 4 lines in 3minutes” is a great idea for understanding students’ problems. I will try it at my lessons. Thank you!

I was so excited to find out about Formative. Working in a district where we try to be as paper-free as possible, completing exit tickets and various things can be daunting - especially to take home and grade! This is changing the way I am able to spend my time and creating groups for my students.

What an awesome idea.

I am using formative to give students feedback about their learning in class. I give them written, audio, and visual prompts and have them respond with images, drawing, and audio recordings. This year I am using the audio prompt and response feature to create practice conversations for French and Spanish class. We are using Formative to replace the archaic idea of a language lab. All of it is online on formative and gives us all the data we need to address our students’ needs on a daily basis.

I love using the draw your response for the novice learners to demonstrate their understanding of vocabulary without translating to English. Formative is a formidable tool!:star_struck:

I use GoFormative to create lessons and assessments that allow me to monitor and track student understanding and drive instruction according to student needs.

I use GoFormative to truly assess my students on the standards, and how well they have learned those specific standards. By using the data generated from Formative, I am able to assign specific questions to specific standards. This allows me to see what students need more work on, or if I need to spiral back and reteach the standard, or reteach previous standards that support the one they are learning. This data allows me to be educated in how I educate :wink:

I generally use Formative to review concepts or vocabulary terms that we have covered over a day or two. I pick the more confusing topics to ask questions about. I hide the names of students so that when everyone is complete, we review the answers as a class. The students LOVE the immediate feedback and it allows for me to be flexible and reteach a concept immediately if I see that the majority of students are still not showing mastery of it. I think that this helps students to feel more confident in themselves going into summative assessments.

Hello, I teach IB Grades 9&10 Individuals and Societies (Humanities) and DP History.
I love how Go Formative allows me to see if students understand knowledge type questions and can communicate this according to the criteria. I then grade them using the sliding bar (color tool) as they write responses live. They love having that immediate feedback so they can bridge gaps in their knowledge.
At the end of the task, I can switch off student’s names, and then bring up exemplar responses for students to peer comment on the overhead screen.
Works a treat!
It’s immediate, it’s applicable and it’s great formative assessment.

I use formative for different outcomes.

1. Use as an entry-ticket or opening idea. I post the anonymous student answers to the question on the board to seek prior knowledge and we can discuss from there. This lets me know where to start the lesson and allows to the students to recall previous knowledge.
  2. Use for short hw assignments where I can comment on problems they have. I grade the solutions and they cannot get full credit for the assignment unless the answers are correct. This is good for the students to work on their perseverance.
  3. Flipped classroom - I will assign a guided pre-lesson home the night before there is a new topic. The questions pull from previous knowledge, include videos to watch or the desmos embedded feature to make observations about graphs. This approach creates accountability for material and allows us to have a more fruitful conversation b/c the students are aware of vocabulary before the “notes”. Great pre-class skill for college.
  4. Exit Tickets - great way to quickly asses what the students acquired in concepts for the day.

I used GoFormative to give a quiz this week. As students were working, I checked each question for each student and provided feedback if something was incorrect. I might give a hint, refer them to a certain page of their math notebooks, or reminded them of something we did in class. Students reacted positively to this and I saw so much greater effort when they knew they had a second and even third chance. The goal is to learn so no more “one and done” chances.

Thank you for sharing this. I think this is something that I’d like to incorporate in the future. @enapolitano How often would you say you give an assignment like this within your class?

I try and incorporate a flipped lesson, or a little math “pre-reading” at least every two weeks. It really depends on the material and how I think it will best fit to both mine and the students benefit. @jillian.kostuchrzepk

I use the formative responses and insights to improve student learning by looking at the questions which is most missed and review with the whole group of students for better understanding. Also, being able to create groups based on the student responses for each topic.

OOOOOHHH I love the speaking and listening idea. I will definitely have to try that. Thanks for sharing.

Hello! I use Formative as a way to discover what my students know. I also use it as a tool to show examples of the correct direction of learning. For example, in math, when you student is starting to draw the correct amount of things from a word problem, I can stop the whole class, display responses and ask the student to describe their work. Sometimes, I remove names and we read responses that may not be headed in the right direction. As a class we think of ways to improve it.

Formative responses give me real time data that help to target and differentiate instruction. This makes the time spent on intervention intentional and provides me, the educator, with proper direction and key points to review and when I can move on.

I use Formative in several ways to improve student learning.

1. I use overall class data to determine whether we need to revisit a concept as an entire class, small groups, or on an individual basis. If I see 80% do not understand, then it is whole group. If it is just a few, then individual intervention may be necessary. In between are my small groups.

2. I use data on an individual basis to determine if a student needs to attend my small groups or need further interventions on a personalized level.

3. Lastly this data helps me to determine who is prepared to move onto another concept that could potentially build on the skills they have just learned.