Earn Your Formative Educator Badge!

I use Formative to quickly assess who understood a lesson or concept and provide remediation and reteach those who didn’t. This digital learning tool is engaging for students and offer me (the teacher) a record of learning for parents!

My plans for using GoFormative include Show your work for pre-lab assignments. It is not for a grade but merely a recommendation for students to come to lab prepared to work and learn. It is an intro chem lab so I have to make sure I use the time in lab effectively (lab time is only 50 minutes). I was not able to check pre-labs before as it was not a graded assignment. Some students do the work, some don’t. Those who did the pre-lab tend to do better and are more prepared as expected. Even though the pre-lab with GoFormative will not be checked for correctness, it allows me to gauge student performance as it aligns with student preparedness. The time stamps for the Show your work option within GoFormative makes it a perfect way for me to do some assessments later.

I also have plans of incorporating GoFormative in my recitation classes for quick assessment and feedback. I have already used PollEverywhere but as I am learning all the various functionalities of GoFormative, it will and can easily replace the existing tech tools I have used in the past. I am very excited about all of the things I am learning, especially how everyone in this community uses GoFormative in their own classes/courses.

Hello,
I use formative responses as a tool to help me determine the level of mastery on particular standards. I also provide the students with feedback and sometimes give them opportunities to reflect and then resubmit.

I’m still learning about it, but I think it’s a great idea

I use Formative in a number of ways in class.

Firstly, I often use Formative at the start of a lesson to check students’ understanding of a new concept before I teach it. Formative is great because I can immediately see where students may have incorrect preconceptions or gaps in their knowledge and I can use this information to shape how I teach that concept.

Secondly, I use Formative throughout a lesson or a the conclusion of a lesson or topic to check student understanding and give feedback to students. I love how easy it is to see students’ thinking and how easily I can give feedback to them to help guide their learning.

I am so thrilled to see the capabilities of Formative and to be part of this great learning community - in the future, I already have plans for how I will use Formative more effectively to design lesson activities that help to drive deeper learning in my classroom. Thanks for such a great learning tool!

Empowerment towards mastery is a very good thing for student efficacy.

This may sound odd. But I gain insight when students respond to drawing questions. It helps me to see who may have highly developed fine motor skills and who needs work. I can compare this to other activities and skills students need to demonstrate like pattern cutting in sewing, knife skills in culinary, cake decorating skills and penmanship. It also helps me understand their abstract thoughts when converting words and ideas into images.

It doesn’t sound odd to me. I think it would be a really good gauge in a FACS class. You could possibly predict following a recipe by having students follow a set of directions (2-3 criteria per step) for typing words or drawing shapes in varying colors and sizes (relative to one another) in specific places on the whiteboard in Formative.

I had not thought about that, but it makes total sense. Taking that into consideration I am now thinking of tweaking some of what I’ve done in the past to ensure that I am also looking for those skills. Thanks!

So exciting to give you an idea :nerd_face:

I use formative responses to gauge my students’ learning. I look at the responses and check to see how many students have learned the information, how many are almost there, and how many don’t get it at all. This information helps me to adjust my instruction and particularly to decide what differentiation is needed to make sure that all my students learn the information/learning targets that we are working on.

I use formative daily in my classroom to assess levels of understanding for my students, and look for gaps in understanding. If I see a specific question that has a low percentage (a lot of red/orange) vertically, then I know something happened for that question and it needs to be addressed with the whole class. If I see a lot of red/orange horizontally, I know that a specific student is struggling with that topic. I work to provide meaningful feedback in real time.

Secondarily, I give students a short-answer question in which I allow them to ask questions about the lesson or give their own feedback. It usually works very well to see their questions and suggestions.

Students complete a weekly Constructed Response Questions relating to expressions and equations. Their collective responses are used to determine what additional instruction revisions to make for the upcoming week. Instructional revisions are made for station rotation activities, daily warm-ups. lesson strategies as well as the upcoming CRQ’s The revisions for station rotation include remediation, extension or additional practice.

I use Formatives in a variety of ways. For example, warm up thinking routines, exit slips and formative assessments.

I have found that participation in the warmup routine has increased dramatically with the use of Formatives and this gives me a chance to “hear” from more students. During work time, I can move through the class and discuss warmup answers with students individually or in small groups which allows me to expand on good ideas or correct any misconceptions.

Using Formative for exit slips allows me to give students immediate yes/no feedback on the days lesson or concept. Students are able to gauge how well they received the lesson and to give me feedback on content or delivery model which improves both teaching and learning.

Formative assessment on Formative is great too! I tag standards which allows me to track students progress against the state set standards. This allows me to group students who are struggling with similar concepts to target for additional instruction or to extend the learning of students who are mastering a particular concept or standard.

I love the real time aspect of being able to respond to students responses on the spot. It allows me to see responses and gauge understanding as well as the ability adjust the learning experience for the students to make it as strong and as valuable to them as I can.

I use Formative Tracker to instantly see how my class has performed on each question quickly and instantly. Thanks to Formative I no longer need to input exit tickets and test grades into a gradebook, everything is there in Tracker. I love being able to see individual work or the entire class at a glance. I can quickly gravitate to the student that is struggling. Kids love getting the instant feedback so they can feel confident they succeeded on the task or go back and correct their errors. After all that is what I’m looking for, students to be able to learn from their mistakes. This process gets them thinking!

I love the real time feedback that I can get from students as they are working on assignments in Formative. I can see very quickly which students have an understanding of the concepts and which students do not. I like that I am able to comment on responses when I need additional information from students’ responses. I am also able to see quickly which questions students may have struggled the most on. Formative offers a variety of questions so students aren’t stuck with only responding to multiple choice questions. I feel like this gives me better insight into their learning.

I use Formative primarily for pretests and post-tests for curriculum units. I always ask two open-ended questions that require critical thinking on behalf of the student. This allows me to see how much they truly understand the information. I have also used Formative for map quizzes; now that I am more familiar with the site, I will be utilizing it for more things!

I love the amount of data Formative provides me in an effective and visual format. I use the data to see what concepts students are understanding and where they need more support. After students complete a Formative, I use the data to either assign a new task to students who show proficiency in a concept or create small groups for reteaching the concept. I also use the data to see if there is a concept I did not teach well and needs to be retaught. Students use (and love) the immediate feedback Formative provides so they can see what they know and what they still need to learn. Formative has helped me improve student learning as it is quick and effective for me to assess student understanding and use the data to personalize learning.

I use GoFormative in a variety of ways but especially like to use it in math. I like to use it to demonstrate how to 'prove" your answers and how to best show the strategy used to solve a problem. I use it in whole group to teach and show effective strategies. I have also used it as both formative and summative assessments to collect data for small group instruction. I love the ability to give feedback. I would love to learn how to use the Tracker more this year.

How Are You Using The Formative Tracker?