Earn Your Formative Educator Badge!

I plan to use goformative much more this upcoming school year. I plan to use it was a weekly/ unit opening. I also love the idea of using it for morning meeting and end of the day wrap ups. I love how easy it is to import Google Classroom and get going right off the start!

Awesome use at the college level!

I demonstrate to pre-service teachers how to use Formative in their future classrooms. They create accounts and get to implement a lesson out in the “battlefield” using Formative! :slight_smile:

Wow, what great ideas! I’ve been using Go Formative for formative end of unit math assessments. It didn’t even cross my mind to use it in all these ways. From reading different posts, it looks like I should investigate how to embed programs/apps into my formatives.

I personally like the instant feedback that I get as a teacher. I use that formative data to see what specific standards I need to re-teach. Sometimes I do this through the use of rotation stations. At one specific station I have something called the “TEKS” station. The TEKS are the standards for the state of Texas. I have a file folder system broken down by standard. Students then take their own data from the formative from a report to see what TEKS they need to revisit. This helps me understand what my students need help with, and it helps them master standards they need to work on.

I assign problems and then when I see the answers start coming in, I mark them and then go to the students who get it wrong and start tutoring.

As a world languages teacher, I noticed that a lot of the answers I got on Formative were taken from Google Translate, and initially I was annoyed and disillusioned, but after a while I realized that students were actually learning information on it and applying it later in a different context. Then I decided that I would like to implement Google Translate in innovative ways, teaching students strings of sentences no matter where they first learned them, and accepting the fact that a language can be learned in all different ways - I don’t have to be the only provider of information. As long as a test is on paper or an oral interview where I can really tell the level of proficiency achieved by the students, I think that I need to give Google Translate a second look! :slight_smile:

Oh I have used Formative all year! I took all of my grade level’s math tests and converted them to Formatives that I assigned through Google classroom as a pilot program for assessment.The reason I decided to use Formative is because it was much more user friendly than other sites I looked into. Our state testing, MCAS, is all online now so it is imperative to utilize online assessments. As I became more comfortable with Formative I used different question types and added images from screenshots of the old tests and images from online.

I also created a Google doc that served as scratch paper for students and a place to record the student score. Directions for parents to access the graded Formative were on the form so they could actually view the assessments once I was finished scoring them and closed the session. I really liked the way the test was scored so parents could see points, what was correct/incorrect and what answers should be. As far as grading Formatives, I really liked being able to easily score open responses since I could view multiple responses at once, or click through one at a time and leave feedback. I often used the “show your work” question because it gave students the ability to use the tools to create open responses that showed their work and explained their thinking. I was surprised at how easy those were to score.

The area I struggled with was providing accommodations such as read aloud. Looking ahead to next year I want to address that and that’s why I’ve been reading about different ways to do that. Next year will be the perfect opportunity to test out Speakpipe. That’s what I plan to try and will play around with this summer.

We have a new math program we are starting in the fall, and I advocated for using Go Formative for the assessments based on my experience with it this year. I’m happy to say that my grade level is on board. Next year all teachers in my grade with use Formative. With the help of a colleague, I plan to start converting the new math program’s assessments to Formatives this summer, incorporating some of the new ideas I’m learning about (Speakpipe, Flipgrid) into them.

Another way I plan to use Formative is for exit slips. I have been investigating the tool that can track progress based on standards and I think that would come in handy to keep track students success in mastering the standards. That data can help inform my intervention groups.

I also currently use Flipgrid and have read some threads on Formative about embedding Flipgrid into a Formative so students can video record a response. I plan to try that as well in place of a written response for explaining how to solve math problems.

I’m excited to continue learning about more ways to expand upon how I currently use Formative so that I can meet the needs of all my learners.

@jwyckoff @patricia.ragsdale @Sten_Anderson

Since the assessment was online, were you able to ‘lock’ students only to Google Classroom and the Formative? I found my students searching the internet and using online math sites to find answers (some with the steps shown as well!) Other than standing directly behind students, how did you combat cheating?

I’d love to see what this ‘scratch paper’ looks like.

I had a free trial of the premium and being able to see who was copy and pasting helped me catch some “cheaters”. I used that as a sign they didn’t know what to do and worked with them 1-1 to re-teach. Once they figured out I could see, they stopped. I think the only way to give a test on goformative would be if you had a screen viewing app or used apple classroom on iPads that lock apps down. Microsoft has a take-a-test program, but I only think that works for Microsoft forms.

Using formative to guide instruction based on student responses is at the heart of the program for me. But perhaps more valuable are the opportunities my students have to get timely feedback and also the ability to take ownership of their learning by reflecting on the formatives and their progress. The use of formative gives me an opportunity to guide and begin to be responsive to individual needs. Perhaps this is where my growth will be the greatest as I continue on the journey and reflection on how I am using formative. Using formative to scaffold and guide students through NGSS storylines this upcoming school year is my goal, students using formative as a learning tool for themselves.

I used Go formative to help students become better at justifying/explaining their math work.
Students are assigned a weekly 3 part open ended question aligned with the current math content. The y’re required to complete the activity by Wednesday. Responses are graded. Each student receives individual feedback based on their responses. Student are expected to review feedback and revise answers to receive a higher score. The quality of student responses has improved throughout the year.

An added bonus is I am able to revise instruction for the upcoming week or provide individualized instruction to those who struggle

Welcome Lonnie! What a great way to connect with your students. :slight_smile: I love giving feedback, too.

My school uses GoGuardian, which does have the feature to lock students to one site, if needed. It also allows teachers to monitor student screens on one single screen. I simply open GoGuardian in the morning and can leave it in the background to view all the screens of every Chromebook that is in my classroom throughout the day. I can send commands from it as well and lock screens remotely. I do have to say that I haven’t had to lock any student into a certain screen, and that thankfully just from walking around, and keeping an eye on all the screens, cheating hasn’t been an issue. I teach fourth grade, and they are great students.

I am also uploading a sample of the scratch paper that I used. It came in very handy. When I started using GoFormative I gave out blank scratch paper and then attached a score sheet after I corrected all the assessments, which took a lot of time and organizing. This was much easier.

Thanks Amanda. I wish we had something like GoGuardian! I teach 9th grade Algebra 1 and by the time they get to me they already know how to ‘get the answer’ from the internet. I like that scratch paper idea. Although I won’t be able to use it for tests, I could probably use it in another fashion. Thanks again for sharing!

I came across this article and thought of you, Tricia. It looks like Google classroom will soon offer a lock screen function. From the sounds of it, it may only be for Google Forms, but at least it is something. Who knows, maybe Google will surprise us with the option to lock any screen assigned through Classroom. Just thought I’d share.

Thanks, Amanda! That’s good to hear. :slight_smile:

I will be using Formative more often to collect and check answers to review and homework, since some students do not always share if or where they are struggling. Next year, I will have 3 classes taking major state assessments, so I plan to create/assign review Formatives for students to complete on their own time, as a way to spiral a lot of the information. They will get individual feedback and I can see what topics may need whole group/small group/individual remediation. Putting cumulative reviews in a Formative will give me easily accessible data to get a better idea of what types of questions and what topics to focus on during midterm and final exam review.

After using GoFormative, I share results with the class (hiding names). As a class we discuss trends, share what we notice, etc. This become part of our reflection as a class and something they expect to happen. The class will discuss what they think may have lead to the successes or struggles they see. We brainstorm next steps together. In addition, using the tracker allows students to see their own growth (or not), and using this data created for them allows them to celebrate growth and focus on specific needs. Having students use this as part of their individual reflection again gives them voice in what they need or want to do next as far as practice, meting with me, enrichment, etc.

As the teacher, I want my Ss to drive their learning as much as possible, and I have to model and guide them through the process. I use the responses to reflect on my teaching and make insights about what they learned and did not. I will look at my teaching, their successes/struggles, etc and work to improve my instruction, reteach, provide more examples/practice, etc- whatever is needed.