Earn Your Formative Educator Badge!

On Formative, I usually assess for understanding. I use Formative for quick assessments and formal assessments. It is so quick to use that I find Formative my go to system for a quick Ticket Out the Door.

I use Goformative for Formatives (like exit questions and understanding checks), for summatives (tests), and to use share models of students’ responses anonymously (by shutting the name feature off and posting the responses on the data projector).

A post was merged into an existing topic: Formative Certification Program Overview & Application

My PLC uses Goformative to collect and analyze data on formatives and summatives to assess strengths and weaknesses.

I use it to give feedback quickly and efficiently. I also use it to model correct and incorrect short answers anonymously through the feature that enables me to turn off the names. Then I put the responses on the data projector and use the student samples to give a whole group instruction.

Finally, I have used it to allow students to write about their independent reading or to answer a quick exit slip.

That’s a great way to use Formative.

I’m planning to use Formative to assess my students learnning. So, I will create quizzes and embed them into a youtube video and then share the link with my class. I will also use Formative benchmark and standards for that purpose.

I use Formative for lessons as well as for homework.
Firstly, I can provide a quick feedback to each student. I can see the progress of each student and track the topics over which to work more. I can see in real time who needs my help or advice.
Secondly, every student can work at a comfortable pace at the lesson. They also have the opportunity to ask for help from classmates.
Thirdly, all you need for the lesson is access to the internet. For example, last week I organized several outdoor math lessons in the park, my students were delighted!
I enjoy Formative, it is really great invention!

I use Formative to get that immedite feedback. For example, I can complete a guided reading lesson with students on their Chromebooks. Students can answer questions and I can immediately see their answers and thoughts. I can take care of problems on the fly! It is great for small group math for the same reason!

I have begun to use formative more for small group work. I’ve found that I can put reading or math questions and watch students work them. I’ve even had a student participate from vacation when I scheduled it with the parents before hand! The student was visiting grandparents in Florida, but participated in a Reading Comprehension lesson! I would love to incorporate more of that next year.

I’ve started to make Formatives that are more interactive. I love the “Show Your Work” because students can fill in graphic organizers, label diagrams and draw their own pictures. Adding video links can also create a more engaging lesson.

Formative is quickly becoming my favorite tool. I 'm loving the ideas I’ve come across in the community forum. I’ll be playing with this more over the summer and looking for more ways to use it to engage students.

We have mastery based learning at our school and therefore our curriculum is broken down into Learning Topics that students strive to master. I have used Formative as a way to break those learning topics down even further so that I can 1) create a progressive path to mastering that concept, 2) give students a nice ‘running start’ by beginning each LT path with pre-requisite skills they (should have) learned prior to my class, and 3) I can see exactly where students start to struggle in their learning process and I can intervene faster. My goal is for students to see ‘lot’s of green’ before they get their first red mark. This has been especially nice in my Algebra 1 class because 2 out of 3 students are not ready to learn the LT and this allows me to build in remediation right away, not after they’ve tried (and failed) the homework.

I use Formative to give my formative assessments more power. I can enter correct answers into the formative, allowing students to self assess, getting feedback immediately. I can also then gain an instant insight into how the class is understanding a topic at a glance. I plan to start a ‘flipped classroom’ next academic year and Formative will play a large role in it, assessing how well my students are understanding their ‘homework’.

Generally speaking, when analyzing the data from Formative responses (and really any formative assessment), I will determine the strengths and weaknesses for the class and individual students and then determine if I need to follow up with additional whole class direct instruction and reassessment or follow up with the individual to provide opportunities for independent improvement.

For now, it is primarily about answering the question, “Did the student/class accurately understand the content?” I am moving to a more standards-based learning cycle-- which I’m still trying to figure out the logistics within the confines of my district’s curriculum and grading policies-- but I’d like to design a class routine in which students autonomously complete formative learning tasks that are aligned with the standards. For now, we are using Formative for review-type activities prior to summative assessments.

Specifically looking at Formative question types, the Enhance a Doc question type will enable me to customize reading comprehension tasks. While like sites as Newsela, it is difficult to fit it into the class when my district won’t pay for subscription and I like to control/customize the content. I get to “hack” Newsela (for example) by using their articles, but putting in my own questions (yay!).

When using Formative in PD sessions, I can easily monitor session participation during and after the event as participants complete the Formative as a guest. It allows me to quickly gather data about the audience’s understanding of the concepts presented. This helps to inform my presentation and redirect as needed if participants struggle with material.

Formative isn’t just for student learning!

This is awesome Kate! I encourage you to check out our slow chat about standards-based learning that @Darcey_Teasdale @mgarcia & @d.vendramin led. Here’s the topic with the questions and links to the aligned discussions. So many great ideas emerged :slight_smile:

We use mastery-based learning at my school. While I am a math teacher, I would be willing to share how I have used Formative and how I will tweak it for next year.

I will have two basic approaches:

1. ON track students (taking the class for the first time): I will take a more linear approach to teaching the concepts. Every 2-4 concepts, we will take a unit test. Students who don’t master each concept will be given independent work to practice those non-mastered concepts. When ready, students can retest to work towards mastery.
  2. OFF track students (repeating a previously failed class): I will review 2-3 concepts a day. Students will then choose from a list of formatives to practice. They will chart their progress on a tracking sheet (pictured below) which be be a formative itself. (More details: Reflecting on Formative Assessment)

Send me a message if you want to collaborate. :slight_smile:

Thanks, Tricia!
I would love to collaborate!

My district is focused on the content first-- we all teach the same texts at the same time. How we teach them is up to each individual teacher. So I don’t have to figure out WHAT to teach/assess.

Also my district directed teachers to use points with 100 percent grading system. I’ve grading with points my entire career, weighing assignments by their point value (HW/Classwork = 10-20 pts, Quizzes 20-80 points, Tests 100+ points, etc). When I first tried standards based grading using the 4,3,2,1 rubric, I realized very quickly that the percentage needs to align with the point of an assignment. 3/4 = 75% which is almost a D in our district. I’ve since switched to 5,4,3,2 rubric design so that the percentages align better with our A,B,C,D percentages. I could go on and on about rubric design, but I digress…

So I’m thinking if I want to go full blown standards-based, I need to stop looking at each assignment as a whole and look at each question as it is tagged with a standard. I’m still trying to figure out the logistics of how to manage that information and have that work with our existing gradebook platform.

So looking at your chart, you have students fill in the total score AND the score for each tagged standard, right? Managing this must be a monumental task! I’d love to learn more about your process!

I look forward to conversing more about this!
Thank you again for sharing!
-Kate

We have a mastery-based system, but we are forced to use a traditional grade book. Until districts invest in mastery based grade books, we have to ‘tweak’ our system to make it align with A,B,C,D percentages. The closest system to the one you use, that I’ve used in the past, is something like a 9,8,7,6,5 scale… and a bonus of 10 for retention. The range for F is so big that it skews the system unless you are able to modify the grading scale within the district to say 4 = 100%, 3.8 = XX% and so on, have a category for each standard, and are able to drop/exempt scores in each category as time goes on. It’s my understanding that you only keep scores within a certain time range, like that last 2-weeks.

(Note: I’m licensed 1-8 for self-contained classrooms and 5-12 for mathematics, and I’ve taught as low as 3rd grade with those licenses.)

Our mastery based system is skewed towards the traditional because of the rigid grade book. I currently teach Algebra 1 to 9th grade students. We weight grades by category: 60% tests, 10% Spiral Tests, 15% Formative (classwork/homework), and 15% for the midterm. The emphasis is on mastering the tests. The rest of the grades are to support building and retaining mastery. We have common assessments comprised of 2-4 concepts. Each concept in a test is entered separately in our grade book out of 10 points. Students are allowed to retest after sufficient practice. Currently we use a ‘best score’ approach in the grade book by replacing the original test score if the student shows better mastery. The upper level math classes (Algebra 2, Pre-calculus, etc) were considering using full replacement; whether a student scored higher or lower, that retest score would replace the original.

In local districts, I’ve seen true standards based grade cards in Kindergarten, with a hybrid card for 1st grade that includes S,N,U markings for non-math and non-English grades and lettered grades for math and English. I guess it depends on your grade book and the type of report card you use. Your team uses the same texts, but do you have common assessments? Do you agree on the rubric-to-percentage conversion scale?

I am not sure if you’ve started to explore the Formative Tracker, but if you are tagging your Formative questions to standards, it’ll show you the class averages and individual student averages for each standard. If you click into a specific student, you can see their portfolio of student work for each standard as well. You could align the points you award within your formatives to match the grading system so that it converts nicely into your gradebook.

By the way, @mgarcia had shared this resource in one of our Certified Educator discussions. It allows you to setup a 4 point rubric with Google Sheets and set the weights for the numbers and the categories. I am not sure if it’s what you are looking for, but just throwing it out there!

I love using Formative responses to help reteach tricky concepts! I like hiding student names and sharing the data with my class. Students dissect the data to determine which questions students did well on as well as which ones we may need to revisit. We have great discussions regarding possible misconceptions and points of confusion. While we analyze the data together as a class I make mental notes regarding next steps for whole group and small group instruction.

It depends on the type of assessment I’ve created with it. As a warm-up, it will inform the direction I take the class or help me in creating my small groups to work with on a particular concept for that day. As a quick check-in during instruction, it will give me information as to how I continue with the class with teaching in a different way or to continue on while still noting who might need more practice still. As an exit-ticket, it gives me an idea of how well the information was processed and informs my instruction for the following day or again informs my grouping for the next small group session. As an assessment (which is what I’ve been using them for a little more lately), they serve to give me and my students quick and easy feedback as I’ve moved into standards-based grading this school year - and having each assessment a different standard helps with re-assessing for only one particular standard that the students might need. I’m looking for other ways I can use Formative to better improve student learning - so please - do share!

This is a great idea! I love using it as an opener. I think it would be great to use as an exit ticket/ summative too.