Earn Your Formative Educator Badge!

As an EdTech Coach I have been on board with formative for a while and began using it by testing items out with Kevin McFarland since 2015. It is always a tool that I point my teachers too as a way to change their lessons based on the SAMR model as well as a way for them to really see their students understanding.

2 Likes

This is a wonderful way to utilize the information gained and should be a main focus for everyone. Being able to reach each student where they are is a vital component of a great classroom environment.

2 Likes

Formative tells me whether or not a student understands a concept. I get this data in real time and this allows me to adjust my teaching as necessary. Ultimately, this will save us time and allow for more in-depth discussions in class.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community! I love the real time feature as well!

I love to use GoFormative with my students! It is very easy to see what the students are having difficulty with. After the students have completed a GoFormative activity, I use that information to pull small groups. I also like how easy it is to create a Goformative.

2 Likes

Welcome. I love, love, LOVE GoFormative. Reach out on the community here to get help from others. It’s an amazing resource.

That sounds like a great way to make use of Formative. I would like to expand to conducting both an entry and an exit ticket assignment for each class.

1 Like

I use formativentomtotally redefine assessment - to integrate assessment into teaching so that it is used constantly in an impactful manner. children’s engagement has also massively improved as a result of this!

1 Like

I use Formative responses to notice when many students are making the same mistake.

It is especially helpful when the questions are multiple choice, so its not just a input error.

I’ve had to turn off the “student can view responses” for classwork, because they were so focused on getting the green circle. They didn’t care if they knew why it was right, they just wanted the credit. I wouldn’t have minded their conversations about who was right/wrong, if it was a conversation.

Once I turned that off, we had class discussions about which answers were wrong and why. I am now using “my favorite no” (http://www.nea.org/tools/tips/my-favorite-no.html) in conjunction with Formative and it seems to help their understanding.

3 Likes

Being able to differentiate is critical!

1 Like

I use Formative for many parts of a lesson. I can add a Bellwork question, provide an opening scenario, deliver digital worksheets, give quick quizzes, and create a summative assessment at the end of the unit. The application allow feedback and responses from all students in my classes. Each assignment is also tied our state CTE standards.

1 Like

I use formative to give immediate feedback to students and as exit slips for my lessons.

1 Like

I use Formative to give students instant feedback on their work. I also use Formative for quick quizzes in order for each of my students to know how well they understand the material before a test and for me to identify students that still need extra help.

1 Like

I try and incorporate a flipped lesson, or a little math “pre-reading” at least every two weeks. It really depends on the material and how I think it will best fit to both mine and the students benefit.
@jillian.kostuchrzepk

1 Like

I’m still waiting for the option to create my own ‘standards’. Our math dept breaks the curriculum up into ‘concepts’ and that’s how we enter them in the grade book instead of one large test grade. If we could do this… wow!!

I’ve put specific problems on my bell ringers to help me group students later by skill level for a new topic. :slight_smile:

1 Like

In my curriculum, we use industry standards. In my subject, fire science, we use the NFPA standards. I would like to add these with my state CTE industry standards.

2 Likes

I’ve been using Formative for distance learning. With the ability to embed instructional videos, everything is all in one place (the lesson on video and practice work). There has been a lot of positive feedback from students.

Usually, I use GoFormative in my classroom to identify who needs extra help or remediation. However, in this current time of distance learning, it has transformed into an instructional tool as well.

1 Like

For years I have been trying to break my students from checking their answers on my answer key (not solution key) and NOT reworking problems they got wrong. Many of them would just erase the wrong answer and write the correct one without correct supporting work. Then I discovered GoFormative, it has been a game changer. At first my students struggled with leaving their incorrect answers in the response sheet, I kept telling them that I can’t give them feedback if I can’t see your responses. Slowly they are starting to understand the perks of using Formative, especially now that we are in a time of mandated ‘distance learning’. Also the the satisfaction of seeing the green dot has started to motivate some of my more reluctant learners.

1 Like

I am using GoFormative to help with Distance Learning - it is helping us to assess children’s understanding and use this to plan lessons when we don’t physically see children!

1 Like