Earn Your Formative Educator Badge!

Our goal is to help you help your students grow! So we’d love to recognize you for using Formative responses and insights to improve student learning. To earn it, simply reply to the following question! We will read your reply and follow up with you privately within 48 hours to award you with your badge!

If we have additional questions about how you use Formative, we may turn your response into a private message so we can chat further! Also, here’s the other badges you can earn to become Formative Certified!

I use GoFormative to inform me regarding any needs to reteach. GoFormative lets me know if they understand parts of the curriculum or not.

When using Goformative as an opening activity, I monitor live responses to determine what might need to be retaught from the previous lesson or to determine a the previous knowledge and understanding a class has on a certain subject.

I usually use Formative as an entry task, so I can know right away if students understood a concept or did some required reading. I am going to try using it for a homework activity instead of a paper worksheet.

I use Formative for a variety of things from warm-ups, to a quick-write, to quizzes and tests. This week, I plan to have students write chapter summaries of the novel chapters we are reading. I will give them the short answer box - that way they are limited to the number of sentences to write. I am teaching them how to write short, concise summaries. 7th Grade ELA

I’m a big proponent of mastery learning, and Formative is a key tool for me in that endeavor. I create summative assessments in Formative, but since we use a mastery learning approach, the summative assessment doesn’t have to be the end of learning. If a student sees my feedback and wants to spend more time with some of the missed concepts, I’ll sit down with the student one-on-one and go over the responses with him or her. The students writes down the topics to restudy and can ask questions if there’s any confusion. Then we schedule a time for the student to come back and reassess. I orally ask about the items that were missed the first time around, and the student responds. Formative makes it SO EASY to see which items were missed, which saves a lot of time! I also don’t have to keep track of piles and piles of old assessments! I can override the original scores, too, so results are fully up to date. :blush:

I sometimes hide the names of my students and then discuss the answers with my whole class: Asking my students why a specific answer is correct and why another one needs improvement.

I’ve just created a Treasure & Hall of Fame Formative.

As mentioned in previous threads, I do the same as @michael.lutz indicates in the quote below:

Feedback on areas the class struggled with is done far more quickly and efficiently if the learners are asked the difference between a red, amber and green coded answers with their names removed. They feel safe (as their answers are anonymous) and they can directly see the differences between weak, average and exceptional answers and they are empowered with that knowledge for the next time.

As I look at students responses, I look for patterns. I use those identified patterns to either move on, pull a small group or reteach a concept in a different way. I also often do what @michael.lutz proposes, showing results to the whole class (with names hidden) and discuss why some answers are correct/complete/well developed and help students identify which ones are not. In science, this is particularly helpful as we tackle arguing from evidence. Our discussions center on whether the evidence provided for the answer was sufficient/relevant/appropriate and what we can do to strengthen our answers.
My formatives are most often assigned to allow edits after submission so students can go back in to strengthen their responses after our class discussions.

I use Formative for my Flipped class. We do “typical homework” problems in class and students can check their answers immediately and can ask questions when they get incorrect answers. I also use Formative for quick quizzes in order for each of my students to know how well they understand the material before a test and for me to identify students that still need extra help.

I use goformative to give students immediate feedback. I like that students can also make mistake and correct them until they get the right answer this way they are also learning from themselves.

When I use Go Formative assignments I can quickly review responses to see what concepts need retaught. This is a form of item analysis that is very difficult to do with regular pencil and paper assignments. I really like the new feature that informs me when responses are being pasted in instead of student doing their own response.

I use go formative for warm ups and formative assessments. I like that it is easy to use and you can align your objectives to anything that you add.

I keep an eye on students answers while they are working. It allows me to correct any misconceptions as students come across them live.

I use Formative in my classroom in two ways. First I use it in the middle of a lesson to check for understanding of the topics covered. I use this information to guide me during the rest of the lesson. I also use this to provide instant feedback to the students. They really like knowing how they did on a question right away so they can improve their note taking or class engagement.

I use formative to show how effective my whole group lessons are. I see what students need to be pulled into a small group depending on how they perform.

I use Formative to ensure that students are all on task and to make sure that the taught content was understood.

I use formative as a great classroom tool for take home tests, and classwork/teamwork projects. The students enjoy being on their ipads to answer the questions or work through the problems I’ve given them.

When I use Go Formative, I monitor the live responses and if they are struggling I can help by using the comments. This lets me help them without showing the other students that they need help or are getting help.