E-mail notifications

Is there currently a way for teachers to receive a notification when an assignment has been submitted? With all the distance learning taking place right now, I have to go back and look at every assignment I’ve assigned to see which students have or have not completed it on a daily basis.

It would be great to be able to receive some sort of notification when an assignment has been submitted.

18 Likes

Yes, with 53 active students at home and often sporadic completions, it can be a tedious chore of sorting thru…

Great question!

5 Likes

This would be an amazing feature. Tell me what student and what assignment…

5 Likes

This would be a great feature. It would save so much time, especially for middle and high school teachers. I spent 60 minutes this morning going through past formatives and comparing versus my gradebook for newly completed formatives.

6 Likes

I agree, this is exactly the feature I would want. Keeping track is killing me. Best tool of distance learning, but keeping track is tough. I have told students to email me when they sumbmit so I know to go check, but this should be automatic.

5 Likes

This would be a great feature if we could implement a “late” due date in addition to the current one. I generally have a date that the assignment is due, as well as a date that I will accept it for reduced credit as a late grade. Right now, I have to keep the assignment open until the late date and have it automatically close at the end of the late window.

Example of how I would love to see this work:

Opened on: 5/13/20 at 8:00 a.m.
Due on: 5/14/20 at 5:00 p.m.
(anything submitted after that deadline is marked late and sends me an email when it is submitted)
Closes on: 5/21/20 at 5:00 p.m.
(any students who have not completed the assignment at this time are forced to submit and I get an email listing all of the students to whom this applies)

6 Likes

I also found this frustrating and exhausting. Until there is a feature that would automatically alter us of late submissions, you could require your students to email you when they complete assignments after the due date. That is was I had to do to keep myself from going crazy. If they don’t email me, it stays a zero in the gradebook.

4 Likes

I’ve started closing the assingnment on the due date, but making a copy and title it “MAKE UP Punnett Squares” of something and opening the copy up for 5 days or so for anyone that is missing it. Once the MAKE UP copy closes, they can’t make it up. I grade the make ups all at once when it closes. It’s not perfect, but it helps!

7 Likes

Yes, PLEASE add this feature!

3 Likes

Good afternoon; One of the methods I use to see if students are submitting or even working on an assignment is to filter the tracker by date. For example, if I filter the tracker from 5/11 to 5/14, I will see only the work submitted or even worked in those days. Not the best, but useful.

4 Likes

I was just coming here to suggest this! With online learning, I’ve been using Formative almost exclusively – but with online learning as it is, I have to keep everything open at all times for whenever a student is finally able to start working on it. And students have until June 12th to complete the work. So I don’t have any way of figuring out who worked on an assignment after I’ve entered the points in the gradebook. It could be an email or even a notification in Formative – or an option to filter Formatives by date completed or something like that…

2 Likes

I only figured that out during the last week (of 8 weeks) of virtual learning. First I choose today’s date as the end date… then I chose the start date as the last date I checked work.

The COOL things I discovered about the Tracker:
** it ONLY showed assignments that were worked on during that time period! So I only had to check those that had been changed.
** when I clicked on the student’s circle, a sidebar popped up on the right…AND I could click the title to go to that assignment!! Even better was when I learned that if I held CTRL while I clicked it OPENED IN A NEW TAB… thus saving where I was in my grading on the Tracker!

This alone saved me soooooooooooo much time.

2 Likes

Also, please consider allowing email notifications when students send a message through Formative. During distance learning, I have students working on multiple assignments (Formative & non-Formative) at all times of the day. I like to be super-responsive to questions in Formative, but if I’m not on my Formative tab, I miss the chance to give immediate feedback. Thanks!

3 Likes

This is one of the things that I really would like to have. I really would like to receive email notifications whenever a student submitted an assignment late. Not only that, it would be nice if it gave us the score that the student received so that we would not even have to open the formative. The email could have the name of the assignment, the name of the student, the time when it was submitted, and the score (points and percentage). I, too, hate having to go back into every formative to see which students submitted them late. That just takes a lot of time.

An alternative would be to have a page of late submissions when we login into GoFormative that we can sort by class, alphabetically, and by assignment. That page should have the name of the assignment, the day submitted, and the score and percentage received. We can have the option of clearing that page after we have entered them in our gradebook that way that list does not become super long and, thus, cumbersome and useless. Maybe even have both options. Having a way for us to manage late submissions would just be very helpful. Thank you.

2 Likes

I know I can hover over the name to see the date submitted but to order responses in date order not just alphabetical would be very helpful please.

1 Like

Great idea. The email should also include a link TO the Formative assignment for those who have Show Your Work problems or who want to check a lower than expected score. :slight_smile:

Taking this a step further, I would really like to have a “To be graded or rescored” tab. Rather than still having to click on individual notifications and still having to go through old formatives, I would really like to have all of the assignments that needed regraded to be in one place. I give all of my students feedback, and then expect them to go back and make corrections, but having to check all of my previous formatives for an exclamation point or late submission is time consuming.

1 Like

This would be perfect. I have been spending the last couple of days trying to figure out how to handle late work.

Yes, email notifications would be useful to say the least.

1 Like

Great idea! Cumbersome but workable. Thank you!