Desmos Piecewise Functions and LaTex Limit notation (formative share)

Here’s an example of an embedded pre-made Desmos graph in which I tasked students with identifying limit behavior at certain points. I also used LaTex code to type the limits into the equation editor. Actually I copied it and pasted it after the first one, then just modified it. Feel free to explore the embedded desmos, and use of LaTex inside the equation editor.

https://goformative.com/clone/ZTBEWB

To see the latex for infinity symbols and limits look here:
https://www.sharelatex.com/learn/Integrals,_sums_and_limits

5 Likes

Looks great! Thanks for the link to LaTex codes. I’m always finding myself trying to do a Google search when I come across a new symbol that’s not in our Equation editor.

2 Likes

@albertbryant @tricia.mintner Woah! I had no idea that you could just paste in LaTex if the symbols aren’t there on our equation editor! Very cool :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

We’ve talked about adding more items as buttons:

Are there any other core ones that you think we should add in as buttons?

2 Likes

I think I’d like to see maybe a drop up menu for symbols like ° π ∠ θ etc. I don’t think adding them directly on to the equation editor would be beneficial because it would take up valuable real-estate. But as a single (symbol) button I think it would be useful. I use limits a lot but most people won’t. Most people probably won’t use theta θ either.
That’s my opinion.

3 Likes

Good idea! Real estate on the site is super important!

@david I understand! You don’t want to get too cluttered with controls because it will be overwhelming and complicated for new users to learn :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is great! I recently did something with limits and was able to ‘fake it’ by just typing in lim and then using a subscript. :blush:

2 Likes

I do like theta though… :blush:

2 Likes

Given Albert’s suggestion, we can consider adding a bunch of math symbols without taking up real estate! The sky’s the limit!

2 Likes