Cause and Effect (Reading Comprehension)

Hey guys!

Check our this Formative I made for our cause and effect lesson this week. I used a NewsELA article on sugar (seemed fitting for the end of the year!) and had students complete the activity with a partner. Although students were able to collaborate when determining answers, each student had their own tablet and was signed into Formative with their own account. Attaching the Google Form I needed them to complete for a written response assignment at the end totally eliminated the struggle of having students type in a web address on a tablet.

My kids absolutely loved the activity and took so much away! A few asked me why they learned more about science in my classroom than they did with their science teacher! :rofl:

https://goformative.com/clone/WHKZUV

8 Likes

Looks great and a great way to use NewsELA. I am wondering why you chose to use a Google form over adding the question as a short answer or essay. I’m trying to figure out the pro/con of each way for another teacher I am introducing to Formative.

1 Like

@Nadine_Lynch I love the way you appsmashed Formative and Newsela here! We just named you our Formative Educator of The Day! Check it out :slight_smile:

How cool! Thank you!

1 Like

My school district requires students to complete one timed written response every quarter for a major ELA grade. I like to print out their responses to staple to the grading rubric I use. I find Google Forms to be a little easier to format when it comes to printing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great idea adding newsELA into go formative. I think it would be a great idea to have student annotate on Gofromative rather than NewsELA

2 Likes

I really like this idea as well, especially because you could give students the NewsELA article on paper as well because then there is the chance that they can have different lexile levels of the text which is especially beneficial for those students not on reading level, yet.

3 Likes

Thats’ an amazing Formative especially the pictures. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Yes! I LOVE that NewsELA allows you to change the lexile. It’s such an easy and effective way to differentiate :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! I loved the pictures too. Very visually appealing for students!

1 Like

Hi Nadine!

I really like your use of a NewsELA article in conjunction with Formative! I’m not crazy about NewsELA’s design for questions and my students have account-fatigue (too many places to log in). Pulling the article into Formative opens up so many possibilities for various question types!

Am I correct in assuming that your students do not need a NewsELA account to complete this formative?

Can you walk me through the process of creating your formative?

Thanks!
Kate

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Moved Topic!sdfdsfsdf

So I played around with this since I use News ELA especially in the spring. Nadine’s example uses it as an enhanced pdf. You can embed it. However students will need their own account to access it. If you want to avoid the multiple log in situation, the pdf option seems the best way to go! Thank you so much for this idea!!!

1 Like

I have definitely cloned it. Thank you so much for sharing and putting the work into it.

2 Likes