Bulk Selection Feature

I have 210 students. I am constantly looking for ways to save time.

When I am grading their responses is there a way I can select only those students who have the answer incorrect. I want to send messages to all the students at once. Every question I have between 30 or 40 students who have an incorrect answer. It is taking way too long to select them individually. Plus, I need to do this for every single question. I am spending too much time clicking on little circles. I want to have a life!

I know how to select multiple answers by switching the view. This only works for the correct answers though. My students are great at finding unique incorrect answers, so it would save some much time if I could just select them all at once to send them structured feedback. I know there is a select all feature, is it possible to just add an option to select incorrect responses.

Please tell me this feature already exists and I am just a Formative novice!

2 Likes

I know the product team is aware of this request, as it has come up many times. You can sort the students by points which should at least make it clear which need to be selected.

2 Likes

Are you talking about ‘grouping’ the students by their same answers? If not, I found a way to expedite my feedback; Feedback optimization

Thank you for responding to my post. I used your suggestion originally, but I guess I am asking for a better way to select all the incorrect answers faster. My students have become very good and using other math sites to solve simple response questions, so I have made most of my questions have a ‘show your work’ component. I want a quick way to select all incorrect responses so I can send the same structured response back to them. I have 210 students and on any given problem 30-50 of them have an incorrect answer. I want a method to select all of them at once. I am getting exhausted clicking. Don’t even get me started if I miss clicking on the circle and have to start again…

1 Like

I totally understand! I found a way to minimize the frustration. :slight_smile: First, I looked at one problem and filtered the answers high to low and gave feedback for correct answers. Then I filtered low to high so my scored answers go to the ‘bottom’ or at least under my ungraded responses. I learned to only click about 2 rows at a time and give feedback. THEN, I copy the feedback. I also give 3 out of 10 points (even for totally wrong answers). As long as you give at least 1 point, those responses ‘go to the bottom’ and you will only see ungraded problems at the top yet again. Then I look through the next 2-3 rows for the same error…selecting and pasting the feedback…1-3 points…etc. Then I scroll back through and look for a different error. At least with math, students who get the ‘same wrong answer’ most likely made the same error and would get the same feedback. The Feedback optimization link in my previous post helps group by like answers.

That being said, the “look at 2-3 lines” at a time is the fastest way I’ve found to grade Show Your Work problems.

1 Like

I have developed a similar system. I am asking for a feature that allows me to not have to develop a system. I want to select all the incorrect answers at once. I am really interested in ways to save time. That is why I am really excited in Formative as a platform. It has the capability of making me enormously more efficient. I think it would be beneficial to the developers if they add this feature, as well.

1 Like