Best Way to Present Go Formative

In my new position, I work with teachers individually, in small groups and in larger PD opportunities. What are you finding to be the best way to show Go Formative to others? I am seeing mixed results when I present to larger groups. When working 1 on 1, I am able to create with them, but I am finding that they don’t carry on the experience themselves. Any help is appreacitated.

I’m having the same difficulty convincing other teachers in my school to give this a try, @Jeremy_Tuller! Maybe someone will make a webinar for us?

My colleagues say that Formative is an amazing tool, but that a) they don’t have time and energy to learn it, and b) we don’t have enough computers and ipads at my school for everyone to use it. (This is a fair point.) Formative’s occasional troubles with speed, performance, and connectivity are problems too.

When I press them, they mostly say, “I don’t do technology.” I think that the other difficulties could be solved if I could find a way around that knee-jerk reaction. Any ideas?

I am leading 2 inservice sessions tomorrow morning introducing Formative to my peers. I’ll update how it went & what did/did not work well! :wink:

@Jeremy_Tuller I would fetch some freaks/very interested people and give them a peak sneak in advance. Later they will be acting as your supporter.

Then together with the whole group, I would present them first with an overview/introduction: I would show them what they could do in a Formative: have a look at my example. Then I would put them into groups with different missions. Every group gets one of your supporter as the first contact person. If they can’t help, it’s your turn :wink: . After some time all the individual groups present their Formatives to the rest of your team. Let them post their clone code in a collaborative document!

@msashlylcot and @Lisa_Scumpieru: How did you do it?

@dentlerp I’m very interested in your experience/findings as well.

I normally present what Formative can do for the classroom and then I make a Formative that they must be part of and answer. I put their answers on the overhead so that they can see what it looks like. This gets them excited and they start to create their own. Now, I also show them the Community Center and how to search by topic/subject so that they can find some clones and make them their own by adding or deleting to get them started with the GoFormative Passion! I hope this helps.

@Lisa_Scumpieru Great ideas to put the teachers into a student’s perspective and let them work with cloned Formatives. I like these ideas and will use them for my own team in three weeks. Thank you!

Hi @Jeremy_Tuller

The way I approach Formative training is the same way I approach ALL training. Get the educators to experience what the students will first (in a humorous and simple way). That way, they are exposed to the various functionality of Formative and remain amused, therefore engaged! Maintaining the interest of staff during a training session can be not too dissimilar from that of teaching a lesson so keep it light, fun and informative!

Here’s a short and simple example I used this year:

Formative Training Example (2017)
OR

Clone Code: QRPSPN

Our school only opens next week officially but punting the incredible influence of the Community is a Professional Development session in itself!

@apeters I love your approach and your Formative! Thank you for that!

By the way: you don’t have to mention the marks within your questions because they are displayed in the students’ Formative:

I have found the most success I have had is when I had my group participate from their devices on a “live” Formative throughout the training. And that is how I plan to do it in February. So before we begin, they will do a pre-training question to assess current tech comfort level, then in between sections of the training they go back to the Formative and answer questions. I try to incorporate all types of questions so that they can experience the variation as a student. I keep their results posted on an overhead.

Here is my folder to PD Formatives that you might want to see as well.

https://goformative.com/clone/CGALOE

I agree @Lisa_Scumpieru! Having them actually act as the “student” and complete a Formative has been the most beneficial way of impacting a group so far. Even if it is just 5 questions to answer, which vary in style of course, it gets them hooked enough to want to create their own version; which I walk them through afterwards.

Here’s a simple one I used in a PD session earlier this school year. It was related to current events that I knew would be applicable to the participants:

Clone code: LSMMYM
Link: https://goformative.com/clone/LSMMYM

I always start with showing the teachers I am working with the “upload and transform” feature. When they realize that they can use assessments they already created, it becomes a “game changer” for them. Then they are intrigued that they can take out the time needed to grade and that the ability to monitor and give feedback is instant.

Hi @michael.lutz

Thanks for the point allocation note, sir! I created this particular Formative before the update so it definitely needs tweaking!

I like making the teachers complete a Formative like this before I show them how to make one so they can observe what it’s like from a learner’s perspective. It also brings the ‘wow factor’ which is great for teacher engagement!

Thanks again!

I love this idea! This is a great way to ensure that teachers do not just leave the webinar with their own formative, but more examples from their colleagues. You could also encourage them to check out our “beta” collection of formatives. I also love @Lisa_Scumpieru idea of showing them the Community Center and letting them search for ideas and formatives via the search bar here! If something isn’t here, you can encourage them to request it so other teachers can jump in and share :slight_smile:

Yes! This is something we recommend to all people who want to share formative. If teachers are given the opportunity to see their own live responses come in, they can easily imagine what it would be like for their students to create responses and how they could use those insights to further learning.

This is such a great idea! I’d love to hear how it goes :slight_smile: :100:

Great idea Ashly! On a related note, I know that many people use Formative to help teach other professional learning topics. This can be a great way to help others see the value of Formative over time.

I am getting ready to revise my webinars for upcoming presentations on Formative. I will share when I am done so that maybe you can all give me feedback and recommendations. HOPEFULLY, I will have this done by the end of the weekend.

@msashlylcot Have success and fun doing it, Ashly!

So, I am thinking about including a “Formative Vocabulary” section in my presentation next week. I came up with the following:

Formative: An assessment quiz or assignment.
Clone Code: Code required to duplicate a pre-made Formative.
Library: A collection of pre-made Formatives available to all Formative Educators.
Tracker: Overall student scores.
Quick Code: Code required to participate in a Formative.

Can anyone think of others? I thought about “app smashing”, but I think that might cause trauma :rofl:

@msashlylcot I LOVE the idea of having a “Formative Vocabulary” session and I like the words that you picked! “Formative” is a great one to define. My own personal definition is “something you create to collect student data and act on it.” For the “Library” definition, the only edit I would recommend is replacing the word “Formative Educators” with “educators” since “Formative Educator” is a specific title and we want others to know that the library is available to everyone. Lastly, for the “Tracker” definition, I would recommend mentioning that it also allows you to track student averages for each standard and see a portfolio of student work for each standard.

I can’t really think of other terms that would need defining up front, but would love to hear what others think!