Badging in the math classroom

math

Looking to incorporate badges into the math classroom. Since I’ consider myself a Growth Mindset leader I am plan to use badges in class to push students to try harder. I want to avoid badges aligned to content standards. My plan is to have student earn badges for three types of targets:

Specific Taregts- List specific activities I want students to pursue. The targets will be aligned to course objectives, and by completing them the students will gain something they would not have gained in class.
Random Targets—Badges for doing something completely random but still in line with the class activities. I got this idea from participating in a GooseChase activity in the summer.

Challenging or Extraordinary Targets—Some targets can be easy to accomplish, but some need to be really hard. REALLY HARD. By earning these badges, the student will know they accomplished something extraordinary, especially if they are the only one in the class who earned it. How about starting a blog on pi and getting 100 followers?

My greatest decision is which site or program to use to provide them electronically. I am considering Class Badges and Schoology Both platforms allow you to create and award badges customized for your classroom or school via a teacher account.
I’m leaning towards Schoology badges because students already use Schoology every day, so the badges fit right in with no extra effort.

Your thoughts, comments and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Love this idea Lonnie! I think the students will work harder if there is some type of “reward” and badges are a great idea (thanks Formative!). I have a wall for extension activities for students to work on when they complete classwork for the day and using badges as a way to reward them for completing this work would make students more likely to attempt. Thanks for the idea!

I plan to badge in my class this year as a way to motivate those students whom I deem Strugglers. I decided to award based on individual skills mastered, combinations of skills mastered, and some random (unadvertised) soft skills. I chose to use curriculum based badges to encourage students to retake tests.

I will be using a Google Spreadsheet to award my badges. There is a digital badges Add-On that is perfect for how I plan to award the badges. (I totally stole the idea from @mgarcia and adapted her non-curriculum approach to fit my needs. Her template might be easily ‘tweakable’ for your needs.) I will include a link to my template… that has the Add-on tabs for badging already included AND coded in such a way to pull the data already on my other sheets and type the ‘Y’ for me. :slight_smile: (One glitch: If you don’t delete my two Digital Badges tabs, the system will pop up an error message. This is easily fixed if you are planning on keeping/tweaking my tabs. Simply rename my two tabs by adding a letter at the end of each ‘name’ and launching the add-on. Then you can decide which sets of tabs to use for your badging. If you want the new ones you can delete mine or even leave them there for referencing formulas. If you want to use mine and tweak them, delete the new ones and then rename mine by removing the letter you added previously.)

Trica,
I am not a google spreadsheet guru yet but will go check out the add-on and see if it might work better for me. Thanks again for sharing.

Lonnie

I totally love the concept and will try to implement this or something similar for the upcoming school year. I especially love the challenge target idea!
Question : Why do you want to avoid aligning badges to content standards?

Jessica,
In my opinion warding badges for content standards is a form of standards based grading. My aim is more towards fostering growth and grit. I’m want to create a system of badges which:

• rewards students for their engagement and participation in the course
  • helps fosters a collaborative learning environment
  • increases student interaction, student recognition, and student contribution
  • encourages student competition with one another to earn badges, through a cooperative and
    encouraging manner.

Since I teach math I am going to include badges for CCSS Standards for Mathematical Practices; which are displayed in my classroom.

Badges geared for growth include the Power of Yet badges. Student must post online something they can’t do yet -to earn the badge. Then they’ll earn a badge for achieving their Yet! Students can also earn about by responding to Richard Bravo’s blog: Positive Expectancy: the power of “yet”.

YES! Excellent.Thank you for your response. I was thinking along those lines but could not have articulated it so well. You have inspired me.

Before I created my own system I was using Flippity Badge Tracker, it is not an add-on but rather a spreadsheet that you customize and it ends up “spitting out” a webpage to display the badges. This is what the end product looked like embedded into a classroom page
flip

With the spreadsheet skills I learned by working with it I ended up devising the one mentioned by @tricia.mintner, so if you are still on the fence perhaps a simple way to get your spreadsheet toe in the water could be to start with Flippity.