Are there timestamps or assignment dates for Formatives?

Good morning, Community!

Perhaps I am just missing it, but are there timestamps for Formatives? If not, could there be :slight_smile:? I ask only because it would be very helpful when it comes to late assignment/student dispute/angry parent situations. It may seem silly, but does anyone have a work around?

7 Likes

As a workaround you could export the results at the due time, or screenshot the Totals screen to show which sections had been attempted at the due time.

3 Likes

Thanks, @kallgood! I like the screen shot idea!

1 Like

The advantage of the screenshot is that it is easy to see the time in the bottom corner of the screen :wink: :alarm_clock:

3 Likes

Hey Taniya!

I love the idea of a timestamp. Based on your use case, it sounds like you’d want one for when a student submits a formative. Is that correct? Also, any ideas about where you’d like to see that show up? :grinning:

Great workaround @kallgood ! If you would like a timestamp for student submissions too, let me know! We record every piece of feedback we hear and use it to inform our development and feature designs!

4 Likes

I could see it being handy, maybe on the export to keep the responses interface clean?

4 Likes

Hello @david! Yes. I would love a time stamp for when a student submits a formative! Perhaps a good spot would be where the green check mark is? Or if you hover over the green check mark the timestamp would appear?

6 Likes

Thanks Taniya! That makes sense! We discuss the different ways that educators are envisioning features and it’s super helpful for the way we design them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great idea Kelly! I could see this working well since educators use exports for related activities like transferring progress to different LMS’s.

1 Like

@david Another vote for the time stamp for assignment submission! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

You got it Maria! If you have an idea of where you’d like the timestamp to show up, let me know!

@david I’d go for the summary (totals) after the last question, and as an additional column in the export file.

3 Likes

@david@tbland had a great idea of putting it in the check mark location! Instead of hovering over the checkmark to see the time, would it be easier to change over from a checkmark to a time and display a time only (?)

1 Like

I like the green check mark on the screen (I’m visual and it tells me quickly that they got the question right, or if I’ve marked it) but having the time instead on an export would be good, or, have a column with the submit time beside their name.

Or, colour the box and put the time in it so we get the green (or shade of red, orange, etc. for partial marks), and the time.

This is a good feature to know if they are doing these at home or at school time.

:slight_smile:
Dawn

2 Likes

My concern with this is if I am projecting live results (without names) it then becomes a competition to finish first, rather than do your best work.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback Michael! I can see both working well :slight_smile:

That is a great point I didn’t think of…maybe depending upon how the assignment is “classified” according to the drop down when created it could have an effect on whether a time stamp appears or not. @david Maybe a new classification of “timed submission/assignment” could be created and only that one would include a time stamp. Or, “time-stamp” could become an option somehow for any assignment (whether in a separate column or replacing the checkmark) that is “turned on” just like “when to show student scores, show correct answers, and whether or not to allow changes after final submission”.

3 Likes

Great ideas Maria! I could see the second one working well since to your point, there might be multiple types of assignments that you would like to see the submission time for. I could see it being a toggle on the Live Results page that says, “Hide/show submission time”, similar to “Hide names”. Would that work well for you?

2 Likes

I think a toggle between show/hide time submission would work fantastic!

4 Likes

Thanks Maria! I noted it!

1 Like