Appsmashing With Formative!

multi-disciplinary
webinar

I took a look! It’s awesome that you were able to use it to engage your students in brainstorming! I’d love to learn more about how your students benefited from the experience!

Nice! Making technology accessible for students is so important!

I think they got a feel for the type of information their classmates had concerning climate change. They were more realistic in realizing if they needed more information and how they could utilize what others had put down.

I see no one mentioned it @David_Kwan, but I am pretty sure you cannot have a space in the nickname on Today’s Meet. It has to be one word! DavidKwan.

Good catch! That’s most likely why I wasn’t able to get in and chat as a student during the video :grinning:

Yes, or my students did an underscore and it worked. Also, if they have trouble sending their message when they click, “say”, make sure to add a period.

I LOVE AppSmashing!! The apps are my paints and formative is my canvas to create the amazing lessons! Of course one of my favorite apps to smash is @Flipgrid (Thanks for the shout-out David!) but there are so many great ones listed here and also many others. I love to embed my “Student Paced” Nearpod’s for easy review as well as EdPuzzle’s. I love inserting pHet interactive simulations for NGSS computer lab simulations, I love embedding VR 360 images from 360cities.net to bring the location to the students AND so many more!!!

I really liked the “speakpipe”.

We have weekly spelling quizzes and it will be a great way to use with my 3rd grade students. I give them Quizlet sets every week. We will still have the spelling quiz, but they will have a virtual simulation of the quiz before the real one! I hope this will help decrease the exam anxiety of most of the students.

Also, it is beneficial considering the multiple intelligence theory. Now I don’t have to give a text and ask the students read it, but I will be able to record my voice and students who feel better with listening will feel more comfortable to understand the text.

I like this idea. It was pretty cool to see students are able to use Flipgrid inside Formative without having to leave. A Spanish teacher that I support is always looking for new ideas. I will definitely share this with her.

Hey Jordan, we actually found that students cannot currently submit video responses within an embedded Flipgrid:

http://discuss.goformative.com/t/using-one-of-davids-app-smashing-ideas/152/10?u=goformativeadmin

I’m going to give this a try in my math class and see how it goes. Thanks for sharing

Would love to see how this works in Math. Let me know how it goes. I think it’s a perfect fit.

AppSmashing is a great way to take different products/apps and have them produce something new an unique. I had the opportunity to do this in a computer science course using Flipgrid and Screencastify. Students created a screencast of a Google Slides presentation and then pushed it into Flipgrid. While Flipgrid is great for creating student videos, the ability to upload your own content is something that just cannot be overlooked, especially if students are using Doceri to explain math problems (for example.)

Hey David, I totally agree. When I taught, it helped me think about the learning I wanted students to engage in and what combination of technology could be used to enhance that learning that rather than putting the technology first. I love the example you provided and Doceri sounds like a great tool! I could imagine using it to create a great flipped instruction video. You could embed it into Formative and have students answer questions based on it!

Here’s a smash a did with formative and padlet https://goformative.com/clone/NYQQHS got some good feedback and great data. Excited to see more student feedback. Very Cool.

Thanks @david - I’ve appsmashed Formative and Flipgrid before, and used TodaysMeet, but never heard or Speakpipe. Something new to add to my ‘To do’ list and bookmarks folder! I’m excited to let my LOTE and EAL/D colleagues know about Formative+Speakpipe for their language assessments. I can also see it being useful for Reciprocal Teaching fluency practice. :smiley:

You are welcome Kelly! Yeah, Speakpipe is the first tool I started embedding into Formative. It’s so great for supporting multi-sensory learning, reading comprehension, and world languages while still collecting your live responses with Formative. Thanks you SO much for sharing it with your colleagues.

Also, thanks for sharing this article on Reciprocal Teaching. It’s the first time I’ve heard of this strategy and it’s seems like a powerful way for students to learn from their peers. I really like how the article mentions that you should pair students into mixed-ability groups because I think this is an activity where students of different abilities could authentically support one another. As you said, I could definitely see this activity being enhanced by appsmashing Formative and Speakpipe. One way, I could see this working is recording yourself reading the sections so students can listen to the text while reading it and collecting live responses for questions pertaining to each section. Is this what you had in mind?

Also, I was wondering when you find it best to have students engage in the four steps. Do you setup stopping points between independent reading so they can engage in them? :grinning: :books:

At our school we actually run it as a structured full class activity. Students have bookmarks that show each of the steps along with response stems. I usually choose the groups and students choose which step they will lead in that group (I use necklaces that I made from the bookmarks). We run a timer for each step and students need to discuss, decide and record their answers (each student records individually) for each step within the time. Following each step, the student who was leading that role for their group reports back to the class - it’s quick fire, no discussion at this point.

Following the prediction step we actually do choral reading - the whole class reads the piece, or sometimes we assign a paragraph to each group, but either way there are always a number of students reading out loud a the same time. It reduces the anxiety of reading out loud, and students can skip a word they are not sure how to pronounce and listen to their classmates say it without it being painfully obvious that they didn’t know the word. (This is the step that I think Speakpipe would be good for - I could record the text and students that struggled during class could read along at home and give some feedback about their own reading progress or other comprehension questions that we didn’t cover in class.)

We then go through clarifying, questioning, we added visualising (each student has 1 minute to draw what they saw in their head when they read the piece), and finally summarising. The whole thing takes about 20-25mins for a full page text. We have standardised tests which include reading comprehension called NAPLAN - I’ve taken previous test passages to use in class for RT.

recip 2recip 1a

When formative first camemout, that’s what I did. My first formatives has a video and then questions based on it. With tools like EdPuzzle, you can embed the ?’s in the edpuzzle and then have students progress through an activity in the formative.

Thank you so much for sharing how you do this in your class. I was thinking that students were solely supporting each other within their own groups and it’s awesome to hear that you’ve structured it so that they can learn from other groups as well. What I find especially powerful about the way you are conducting this activity is that you’ve not only found a way for students to support one another with reading comprehension, but with the act of reading itself. I now recognize why this is called reciprocal teaching as students are taking on roles that the teacher normally does and actively teaching one another.

I also really like your idea of implementing Vocaroo as I definitely remember having students who could benefit from reading and listening at their own pace! It sounds like a great way to extend the activity in a meaningful way. I wonder if it would be a good idea to have students creating the recording themselves so students can listen to their peers on their own time!