Anyone use Formative for RTI/Differentiation?

multi-disciplinary

My high school practices standards based grading and retest/reteach for Response to Intervention (RTI). Right now I’m thinking theoretically, teachers could create standards specific formatives, and if students need to remediate on a specific standard, the student could take the formative in guest mode. I’m trying to avoid assigning formatives to whole classes and creating a bunch of little classes/groups because any student may need to remediate any standard at any given time. I hope it makes sense.

Could guest mode work?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
TaMara

6 Likes

@tbreaux1 In our Foundations of Mathemtics course last year (Algebra 1 Keystone Remediation) I used Formative as one tool to differentiate in my year long course (as well as in the two week summer session that we have for “summer retesters”). I only had one section of 28 students, so I didn’t mind assigning to the full class and then having only certain students work on certain Formatives. No matter what they were working on, they would have been scattered anyway as some were prepping Mod 1 only, some Mod 2 only, some both Mods, and if they were lucky enough to pass in the Winter administration of the test, they didn’t have to prep either, but were still in the class! Most in that situation were fortunately interested in SAT prep, so that’s the direction in which I took them. I did not try anything with guest mode - sounds like you have a larger number of students to work with and hopefully someone else can give you a more helpful answer!

2 Likes

Hey Tamara,

What you could do is create those standards specific assignments and then assign them to “Guests”. You could then give the link or quick code for them, to students who you’d like to take the formative. If they first sign into their Formative accounts then they’ll be able to return to the formative to review their score by revisiting the same link/quick code (and as long as you haven’t un-assigned the formative).This way, if the questions are tagged to standards, their progress on those guest formatives will also factor into their overall percentages within the tracker!

So in summary, you are definitely on the right track with assigning to guests. I think my only recommendation is to have them still sign into their formative accounts so they can review their scores and so that their performance is factored into the tracker!

4 Likes

What you could do is create those standards specific assignments and then assign them to “Guests”. You could then give the link or quick code for them, to students who you’d like to take the formative. If they first sign into their Formative accounts then they’ll be able to return to the formative to review their score by revisiting the same link/quick code (and as long as you haven’t un-assigned the formative).This way, if the questions are tagged to standards, their progress on those guest formatives will also factor into their overall percentages within the tracker!

So in summary, you are definitely on the right track with assigning to guests. I think my only recommendation is to have them still sign into their formative accounts so they can review their scores and so that their performance is factored into the tracker!

1 Like

Are you a Google for Education school? What about posting in Google Classroom?

1 Like

I am struggling with the same problem. I post the links to Google Classroom, but students still see all differentiated tasks in the Formative class. Many students need teacher supervision to enter the correct Formative. I wish the links only took then directly to the one assigned. Am I missing a step to ensure that?

1 Like

@emily.kaldeway currently, the integration just allows you to post a Google Classroom class. Have you considered setting up a Google Classroom class for each of your groups? You could then import them into Formative and assign each formative to the group it’s intended for. If that’s not an option, you could also create new classes in Formative for each group as well. This would allow you to still assign each formative to the intended group but you wouldn’t have the option to post to Google Classroom (that option is only available for imported classes at the moment).

May be you can create small groups or classes and for every class put together the tasks and the assignments that suit its proficiency level.

2 Likes

I know this is late, but I’m putting it here anyway. Now you can assign work to specific students. This will allow you to add an entire class, through Google Classroom and then assign the RTI to only those targeted students. Conversely, you can also assign enrichment, or other differentiated content to your other students. I’m currently working on creating a workflow for using Formative for intervention any other input would be appreciated!