Any AP Calculus teachers?

math

I am currently using Formative in my AP Calculus class and I was wondering if there is anyone else who teaches AP Calculus and how you use Formative with your students. Right now I use it for homework quizzes that involve both multiple choice and free response questions. I can grade the quizzes immediately in formative and we can discuss the results in class.

Welcome to the community, Mary Jude! It was great getting to meet you today! I am tagging our @Math_Educators in here so they can check out what you had to say! Feel free to use handles like that when creating a new topic/replying to one! They are available for pretty every subject area and help encourage communication :slight_smile:

Thanks! I can’t wait to get exploring and connecting!

You are welcome! We may not have any AP Calc teachers in the community just yet, but I encourage other math educators to share how they are using Formative as well! There are so many great ideas that span across grades and subjects.

What is AP calculus teachers?

AP Calculus is a math course!

Hi! I don’t teach AP Calc, but I do teach Pre-Calc!! I would like to use Formative more next year for HW checks and during review activities. I tried something last year, where I put a graph and asked the students to pretend that their friend was absent from class and to try to explain how to find the limit as x approached a certain value. It was a 1 question thing, thought up at the last minute, so it wasn’t fancy (at all!), but I did get some really interesting answers out of it. What I had PLANNED to do with the data, but couldn’t really figure out a way to make it happen, was to have the kids give feedback on their classmates responses. I got the responses in a spreadsheet, and could have had them make notes on a printout of that, but didn’t find a way to make it happen in formative and honestly, dropped the ball on that feedback activity.

One thing that I plan on doing this year is when I teach the derivative rules, I usually give an example of a function and it’s derivative and see if they can figure out the rule. I think I will have this in a formative, so I can easily see what each student comes up with. I just did it on paper this past year…wish I had thought of formative then!

Hope we can connect more about some upper level math!
Michelle

Hi again! I just tweaked the limit formative that I described in my first post…so now it has 2 questions lol. :slight_smile:

Would appreciate thoughts if you have time to check it out:
https://goformative.com/formatives/PM648qMM89EZ2pL99

Oh, I just learned how to enter it in the editor…before, I had just written it out in words (find the limit of f(x) as x approaches 2). I was excited to see that when I used the subscript for x->2 in the editor, it put the whole thing below lim. Yay!
Thanks!
Michelle

Nice. I use to teach precalculus two years ago. Formative gives great opprtunity for tracking students progress.